Your Variax 600

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Colin F

Your Variax 600

Postby Colin F » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi Gordon
You've had one of these for a couple of months now, just wondering how your getting on with it, any Pro's and Cons etc. I have heard it's best to play it through a Line 6 amp such as the Flextone3, that true?, and have you gig'd or recorderd anything with it yet?
Regards and best wishes
Colin

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Colin,

Mike and I went to see Gordon in a village called Shorne last night. I've just finished uploading a new gallery of photos which actually feature quite a few of the Variax !
( - click the link below or go to the Gallery section.)

http://tinyurl.com/25hsf9

It was the first time I'd heard it used, but I must admit it sounded great.
I'm sure Gordon will tell you more on his return in a couple of days.
In the meantime, enjoy the pics :D

Sue

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi Sue
Hey that looks pretty spanking that doesn't it? I'm torn between getting one of these and building my own Strat to be honest, the Pro's of The Variax means I can play One of Gordons Tune's (in some of those obscure tunning he favour's) and then play something completely different in Standard at the flick of a switch (I say Play, but the term is quite debatable really! :lol: )The Pics. where great! You've done a remarkable job with this website Sue.
Regards
Colin

GORDON
Site Admin

Variax

Postby GORDON » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi all.

The Variax is just great, I love it, and have only realy scratched the surface with it's potential.I use it constantly and have done so since the start of this year. I played my two charity concerts at the weekend, and my pal Paul White attended Sunday's gig. Paul is the man who turned me on to the Variax, and he is a man who really knows a thing or two about sound being the editor of SOUND ON SOUND.He was well impressed with what I was doing with it. I just go straight into the PA with it and it sounds great. I really can't praise it high enough.

Be Well all.

G.

crookedpinky

Postby crookedpinky » Mon May 14, 2007 5:13 am

Hi all

I only found this group and website yesterday - what a find. I was astonished to find the Variax being mentioned and I have a couple of comments to make about them. I have a Variax 300 and have been using it for the past year ad a half. A life-long fan of all things guitar I was initially skeptical about the validity or accuracy of its sounds - particulalry the acoustic sounds. It does have it's limitations but for live work it excels and even with recording its so close to the real thing - without the hassle of miking. I have a red 300 and while it's not the most attractive looking guitar ( the sunburst looks better ) it is easy to play and performs well. What I've found is that it really needs to be amplified through a system with a flat response - at least for the acoustic sounds. Obvioulsy an electric guitar amp will be appropriate for the electric models on the 300.

I have a GR20 running off my 300 and this allows for processing the guitar signal separately. Until last week the guitar signal was being sent through an X Vamp. I changed to a zoom G2 which I found gives the 300 acoustic models a much more natural and acoustic sound. It's given the 300 a new lease of life, reinvigorated my meagre playing skills and taught me that there is always a better nsound to be had.

Apologies for the lengthy post, thanks for reading

Alan (Crookedpinky) :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 am

Hi Colin.

The Variax is serving me VERY well sir, and you can hear the evidence on a new double live album due for realease sooon, where I use it on DODO'S DREAM...twice!

Be Well buddy.

G.

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Fri May 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi Gordon
I just received My Variax 600 this week along with a Spider £ 75 amp, It's fantastic ! Not got to grips with the 'Workbench software' yet, but I would love to set it up to one of your Guitar tones for that authentic 'Giltrap' sound, any advice on this would be most welcome.
Regards and Best
Colin

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”