Ravens & Lullabies - a nation decides...

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

Ravens & Lullabies - a nation decides...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 am

Given that the new CD's out soon I thought that it would be good to start a thread in which we can share our thoughts on Ravens & Lullabies...

At the risk of setting myself up to be the most envied/hated person on this forum, I got a pre-release review copy of the new album through the post yesterday. I've only had a chance to listen through twice so far but... WOW! You are really going to be blown away when you hear it.

I had wondered how the alternating ravens and lullabies feel across the track listing would work but it really draws you through the album creating a great mood across it. The songwrtiting from both G and O (and G&O) is amazing and the arrangements are stunning. Lots of classic Giltrap playing and lots of fat, squelchy synth from Wakeman (alongside the fluid piano playing). the full band approach to the tracks works really well too with all really enhancing the sound.

I wondered how the vocal tracks would sit in a heavily Giltrap album but they work so well - and the singer (Paul Manzi from British proggers, Arena) has a really great rock voice. There certainly aren't many other Giltrap albums which contain swingeing social commentray on the decline of our industrial and manufacturing base or the 21st C credit culture... Both great tracks by the way.

Also, I think that collaborating with Oliver has pushed Gordon to excell in his playing. I think that it's definitely stretched Gordon's electric playing into areas he's not really explored before - and that's a really good thing from a listener's perspective.

There's olny a week left to wait for the official release date. Clear your diaries now to ensure some quality listening time available because you're going to want to spend some time listening through again and again...

Roger

Re: Ravens & Lullabies - a nation decides...

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Had an e-mail from Cherry Red today saying that my copy had been dispatched, so hopefully won't have to wait too long before it arrives (might be tomorrow :D :D :D )

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:24 am

I'm all on tenterhooks..........................

scottj1

Postby scottj1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am

My copy has arrived...

It's bloody marvellous,all the hard work has paid off for Gordon and Oliver!

Congrats both

Scott

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 am

Hello lucky people,

E-mail from Cherry Records - oh yes, arrived yesterday. From my experience, the fastest "snail-mail" seems to be the Japanese Mail (unbelievably fast: postcards taking 1,5 day to fly from there to Poland). They never travel that fast when send from Poland to Poland anyway :-)) (where is the secret, I wonder...).
So, I am thinking of buying new headphones and waiting for the happy day :-)

Cheers,
Piotr

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 pm

My copy has just arrived - thanks Cherry Red and Royal Mail :D :D :D

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 pm

It's here: it's here........................I'm listening to it as I write.

First impression............su - blooming - perb. A true mantlepiece.....I mean masterpiece.

Congratulations Gordon and Oliver - may Ravens & Lullabies gain a wider public audience appreciateing your musicianship and compositional skills.

Very best regards and see you at Bishops Itchington,

Keith

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:58 pm

keithmeredith wrote:It's here: it's here........................I'm listening to it as I write.

First impression............su - blooming - perb. A true mantlepiece.....I mean masterpiece.

Well, Gordon is a living Leg End, after all. A Leg End in his own lunchtime!

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 pm

My pre-ordered double CD edition arrived this morning too. Just listening through to the bonus tracks and, frankly, I'm astonished that those studio tracks didn't make it onto the main album - particularly Praeludium and the cover of Roots. Now, given my near psychotic love of the Fear Of The Dark album the next sentence shouldn't be taken lightly. That new version of Roots is pretty much just as good as the original!!! And Oliver's synth solo is just gob-smacking. ALmost a new definitive version... WOW! Need to go for a lie down!!!! :shock:

Gordon, Oliver, you guys have surpassed yourselves and this NEEDS to be only album no. 1 of a long and happy partnership! 8)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Oliver and I thankyou for that HUGE seal of approval about the new album.

He and I are proud of what has been acheived and the man is an outstanding producer.

Let us hope that this album gets the recognition we feel it so richley deserves.

Thank you all for keeping the faith.

Be Well.

G & O.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:26 am

I have yet to receive an e-mail confirming shipment of my per-ordered copies. Not sure how long they will take to ship over here, I just hope they don't keep me in suspense too long as more and more reviews are posted!!!!

Soooo looking forward to it :)

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Drat!

Simply too slow off the mark... all Special Edition two CD version sold out...

:cry: for me but :D for Gordon and Oliver...
The older I get, the better I used to be

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Phew! Still available on Amazon....
The older I get, the better I used to be

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:39 pm

I finally broke and chased Cherry Red yesterday. All is well and the CD's shipped yesterday! Now the wait...

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Gordon,

Have posted a review on Amazon (as RMD). It should appear on there within the next 48 hours.

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

PS Great news about the Martin :D

Return to “Gordon's Music”