Messages don't leave Outbox

If you are having a problem using the board and cannot find the answer in the FAQ, please post it here.

Moderator: GORDON

aviator

Messages don't leave Outbox

Postby aviator » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 am

This isn't a unique problem; I've seen it elsewhere.

I think a batch job sends Outbox messages, perhaps at a predetermined time of the day.

However I have a message that has sat in my Outbox for two days and won't be despatched.

I haven't hit a size limit.

Sue
Site Admin

Re: Messages don't leave Outbox

Postby Sue » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Aviator,

this isn't so much a problem of function as a problem that the way it works is not obvious or well explained to users. While a message is still in your outbox it simply acts as a "read receipt" indicator, showing that the mesage is unread.

When you send an email or PM using this type of forum it is designed to work in the following way.

1) you write a message and hit send.
2) message is sent immediately to recipient appearing in their inbox and your outbox. (Messages in outbox can still be edited as they are unread by recipient.)
3) When message is open by recipient the message moves to your sent box.

Hope this explanation helps,

cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

aviator

Re: Messages don't leave Outbox

Postby aviator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am

Ah,

Now it all becomes clear.

Its useful in a way as the Outbox config acts as a read receipt - once moved to 'Sent' you know the message has been read.

Thanks!

Sue wrote:Hi Aviator,

this isn't so much a problem of function as a problem that the way it works is not obvious or well explained to users. While a message is still in your outbox it simply acts as a "read receipt" indicator, showing that the mesage is unread.

When you send an email or PM using this type of forum it is designed to work in the following way.

1) you write a message and hit send.
2) message is sent immediately to recipient appearing in their inbox and your outbox. (Messages in outbox can still be edited as they are unread by recipient.)
3) When message is open by recipient the message moves to your sent box.

Hope this explanation helps,

cheers
Sue

Return to “Board Help”