Got a new toy!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Got a new toy!

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu May 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Hey... I've got a new toy! It's really sweet looking, it's a sort of honey sunburst and sounds amazing. It's a LAG Jet.....a lovely little six string electric (french designed) which looks an sounds like it should be in the hands of Albert Lee....not me!
Highly recommended!
Russ

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu May 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Russ
Did you get the humbucker and single coil version or single coil only. What is the tremelo like? Is it floating and does it stay in tune? With 24 frets you'll never run out of notes :) Enjoy!
Bob

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu May 10, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Bob,
It's the single coil version - which is fine as I've got access to plenty of Humbuckers! In fact it makes a nice partner to my Tele. Sound wise, it works really well. It never fails to amaze me how wrong Fender got their pick-up configuration with the Strat - it doesn't make for a good tone range, it makes for a guitar that sounds just like a Strat - which isn't ideal. This modern generation of triple, single coil guitars are so staggering - and so cheap!
As far as the trem goes....sorry to confess, I haven't got the faintest idea....as a keyboard I use a pitchbend wheel, but as a mandolin and mandocello player I don't 'bend' notes at all. And as for the guitar...well, I subscribe to the early Richard Thompson school of thinking....why bend a note when you can build loads of tension and then drop a tone or semi tone when least expected!
Russ

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri May 11, 2007 9:44 am

Hi Russ
I know what you mean about the Strat. I think the main thing is that there have been so many guitarists use the Strat that the distinct out of phase sound variations is what is needed on sooooo many tunes, plus the guitar is so easy to work on and adapt. My main electrics are Strat and Ibanez JS1000, but I do have other older guitars that have distinct sounds that are hard to reproduce on either of these. I also like to use a floating tremelo for expression when playing Satriani, Vai or Jeff Beck style. I was talking to a friend recently about the way old guitar makers used to put on little extras to try to make their guitar stand out (remember the Hofner Galaxy with its felt dampener). Things have'nt changed much with the new synth guitars :lol: . I wonder I anyone remembers some of the weird attachments the some companies tried.
Best wishes
Bob

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”