Harmony 12 string

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

brucey

Harmony 12 string

Postby brucey » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi gordon
I am now the proud owner of youre harmony 12 string guitar,which is superb.When i tried out the guitar and read the history behind it on this site i could not help myself! It would be great if you have any more info or tales about this guitar,also is it ok to tune up to standard?The guitar will be well looked after (and played often) thanks for the chance to own something so interesting and great.
cheers lee

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Lee.

Wow, it's gone! Didn't know until I read this.I'm delighted it has gone to a good home.Did you get the CD that went with it?If not I shall burn off some tracks for you with many of the pieces I recorded with it over the years FAR too many to mention here!

You have in your hands probably the most significant piece of GG history in terms of guitars in my collection. It dates back to around 1966/67, and was bought from Len Stiles guitar shop in Lewisham. Many people ask why I have finally parted with it? The reason is simple...We are all just custodians of 'things'. When we die they pass on to the next person. I can't bear guitars not to be played and this guitar is still a VERY playable instrument. Of course you can tune to concert pitch my friend just drop down a guage otherwise it will put too much strain ojn the neck!

I'm certain it has gone to a good home. Let me know about the CD and I shall send on to the shop OR send me a private message with your home address.

Be Well Sir.

G.

brucey

Postby brucey » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Gordon
Thanks for the reply,yes i have the cd from the shop it had 8 songs on it,if you can remember any more that would be great (i will buy the albums if i dont already own them)Which guage strings do you recommend for standard tuning?.Once again many thanks and i will hope to see you soon at one of youre concerts.
cheers lee

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:58 am

Hello again.

I would suggest a 9 guage set if you are tuning to concert pitch, there are many makers who do this guage of string. Earthwood are OK if you can't create your own custom guages, Martin may even do a set. Good luck sir, and I'm glad you have the CD, it's all pretty much there.I'm sure you can see by all the various makers labels inside the guitar how much I valued it and wanted to improve on its sound over the years. It was only recently that I got Roger Williams to convert it back to a tail piece fitting as it was originally, at one point it was a pin bridge but I felt that the treble was not so good and it had lost its original 'jangle' which I believe it now has along with an amazing action I'm sure you will agree!

Best of Regards.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 pm

GG webmaster

brucey

Postby brucey » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Gordon
Thanks for the reply and info about the strings.The action does indeed make the guitar great to play and the sound is superb ,hope to see you soon.Thanks for the link sue, the update at the end made me smile.

cheers lee

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”