Firebird III

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Firebird III

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:25 am

A few of you voiced an interest in my recent aquisition - so here it is;

So....what is it? Well, it's a Gibson Firebird of currently unconfirmed vintage, it is not however an original 1963/4 - if it had been it would be worth around £25K!!! I can confirm that it is odd to play, heavy and unbalanced with a fairly distinctive sound. Anyone for a quick bit of the Freebird solo????
Cheers,
Russ

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Russ!

Very impressive! I've always liked the look and sound of the Firebird since first hearing Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music) play his Firebird VII back in the 70's. It's still one of his main guitars (http://firebirdv11.com/).

Where did you manage to buy the Firebird from and was it already repainted etc when you bought it, as it looks pretty good now! Also, how does the copy that Ash has compare?

Best to you and the family,

Roger (&Em)

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Roger & Em...to be honest it's a really long story and one which will have to wait until we meet up sometime! The guitar 'appears' to be a genuine Gibson Custom Shop 'Historic Re-issue' fitted with early nickel plated parts. Also, the Cardinal red colour is correct although the finish looks more ike polyester than nitro. I suspect the guitar has had a headstock break in the past and it has been re-finished in poly. Apparently this is so common it would be exceptionally rare to find a 'bird without a reapaired head!
Cool guitar though..! It is very different to Ash's copy....it sounds better but is harder to play. I can fully understand why so many ended up having the action raised as a slide players weapon of choice.
Ash has just sold his copy and is putting the money into a valve amp 'fund'. I'll keep you posted on his progress.
All the best from us all down here!
Russ, Carole and Ash.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”