Fender VG Stratocaster

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Steve Smith

Fender VG Stratocaster

Postby Steve Smith » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi folksm
Have a look at this:-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EslpbFeLF8s

I would really love one of these but there's no way I could justify buying one since I don't record, rarely gig and already have 3 electrics, one fretless bass, a casio digital guitar (for fun) and a very cheap electroacoustic (quite apart from the fact I'm a lousy player! ;) )

Help talk me out of buying one, please! :)

Steve

Bob Wilson

VG Strat

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi Steve
Sorry, I can't bring myself to talk ANYONE out of buying a guitar and since seeing this guitar I want one too :oops: . All of my guitars (electric and acoustic) are in different tunings since I rediscovered Gordon a few years ago and this guitar would be a Godsend for Gordons music (although putting a screw at the tenth fret for Appalachian Dream might lower the price a bit :lol: )
Tunings apart, have you looked at the Korg Pandora PX4 or PXR4 effects pedal. It is great for getting different guitar sounds from acoustic to SG and it is programmable, so you can make your guitar sound like most others. It also has amp modelling and effects. The PXR4 is a pocket recording studio too.
A cheaper option, but I know you'll still want a VG Strat and that's as far as I can go towards talking you out of it :roll: Sorry!

Best wishes
Bob

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi Bob,

Sorry I made you want one too! :lol:
As for the PX4, I've got one of those & think it's a great little unit for practice, trying out ideas & recording, but a bit tricky to use when gigging. Don't know if you knew that Steve Vai did a great demo track for the PXR4 which is downloadable from the Korg website
http://www.korg.com/downloads/mp3/artist/FEATHERS.mp3

C'mon, the rest of you, there's now TWO of us that need to be talked out of buying a VG Strat. Help! :)

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:28 am

Buy one now! :wink:

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 am

HI Steve,

dont know if you noticed, but when posted on this thread, the code was displaying [b]like this [/b] rather than making the text bold ? :?

I've corrected them for you so they display as you intended - I think you had the "Disable BBCode in this Post " box ticked at the bottom of the post a message form, although in Options you had BBCode ON.

Unticking that box will make the formatting work.

I'm still coming to grips with some of the finer points of the board too, but thought I'd post this in case other people were having the same problem.

Cheers
Sue

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi Sue,

I did notice the bold was displaying right but didn't know what caused it. Thanks for correcting it in my previous posts & for telling me what the trouble was. :)

Oh, and Hobo! Thanks for your helpful suggestion - Not! :P ;)

Steve

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Steve Smith wrote:Hi Sue,

I did notice the bold was displaying right but didn't know what caused it. Thanks for correcting it in my previous posts & for telling me what the trouble was. :)

Oh, and Hobo! Thanks for your helpful suggestion - Not! :P ;)

Steve

No problem Steve. I've wanted somebody to give me a reason not to buy several things, over the years, but in my heart I've really wanted it. Never had reason to regret buying it in the end!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi All.

I had a look at the Fender demo,and quite honestly the Variax does all that and more in my opinion AND it's cheaper!... :D

All the Best.

Gordon.

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:18 pm

The VG does look pretty Spanking, but as Gordon says, the Variax does everthing that does and more besides for less than half the price, I'm hoping to demo a Variax on Sat. with a veiw to purchase, but I may wait untill the London Guitar show for that. After a slow start the Variax is starting to gain some ground on the 'big boys', you'll start seeing more and more of them on the likes of TOTP's and MTV etc. soon.

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:30 pm

Got to say that, having had another look at the Variax, I agree that it's more verstile than the VG Strat. The only thing tha VG can do that the Variax apprears not to is to retune the current setiing, by virtue of having a dedicated tuning switch.
This is great when gigging but it's limited to only 5 fixed tunings.

With the Variax, you need to decide which guitars you want in what tunings (selected from an almost infinite range), make the virtual guitas with the Workbench software and upload them, presumably into the Custom Banks. Thus means that they need to be pre-planned or you're back to tuning by hand if you want to play in an unplanned tuning at a gig - how appallingly stone age ;) Not a problem for you, Gordon, as it gives you the chance to tell another of your hugely entertaining anecdotes. :D

Perhaps I'd better take a trip down to my local music shop & see if they've got any Variax's in stock....

Best wishes,
Steve

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:05 am

I'm no musician and I'm a bit lost, but I'd love to hear a demo on the Variax to see what you're all talking about.

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi Hobo,

There's a whole load of demonstration videos at
http://line6.com/variax/movies.html

and some demo sound clips at
http://line6.com/variax/studio.html

Have a look\listen, it's impressive. :)

Steve

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi everyone
I've Just bought/orderd a Variax 600! :lol: I couldn't resist It any longer' it wont be here untill next week but I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Hay Steve, I suppose you could always pre-plan your gig first and then leave any unplanned tuning till the encore! :wink:

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:16 am

Steve Smith wrote:Hi Hobo,

There's a whole load of demonstration videos at
http://line6.com/variax/movies.html

and some demo sound clips at
http://line6.com/variax/studio.html

Have a look\listen, it's impressive. :)

Steve

Thanks for the link Steve, it is certainly impressive!

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:44 pm

OK, I'll admit it. I've been looking for Variax 600s on eBay though there's no way I can justify spending that sort of money. :oops: At least I've been talked out of buying a VG Strat! :lol:

I look forward to a review from Colin F here when his arrives ;)

Hey Hobo, great idea about the tuning. The way I pley, I'll never need to retune..... :lol:

Steve

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”