So what's living in your CD players at the moment...

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

So what's living in your CD players at the moment...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Just thought that I'd get the ball rolling on here with the obvious question... what's musicaly floating your respective boats at the moment?

Well, it would be rude for me not to join in.

There are a few albums which I've been getting really excited about recently and ar ewel worth checking out...

Hummingbird - Tougher than love: Hummingbird are a sort of singersongwriter supergroup comprising three brilliant female singers, Amy Wadge, Cathy Burton and Edwina Hayes. A sort of Dixie Chicks meets Crosby Stills and Nash. They're touring at the moment so if they come near you do check them out! http://www.myspace.com/hummingbirdmusic

Alison Krauss has a new compilation out soon taken from her solo work, collaborations and soundtrack contributions called "A hundred miles or more" . Well worth checking out too.

If you like down home bluegrass it's also worth checking out Uncle Earl - four talented yound singer/instrumentalists who've just released an album produced by John Paul Jones called "Waterloo Tennessee" http://www.myspace.com/uncleearl and check our Kristen Andreassen's video of "Crayola Doesn't Make a Color for your Eyes" http://www.myspace.com/kristinandreassen . Guaranteed to raise a smile!

Finally from the sublime to the ridiculous a friend's Progressive Metal band "Threshold" has just had it's new album "Dead Reckoning" released in the UK and across Europe with an American release later this month. Really good melodic album if rather heavier than the groups above :lol: http://www.myspace.com/thresholdofficial

Hope you enjoy the tunes and checking them out...

Cheers

Trevor

Sandford_Merlin
Location: Sandford; Mid Devon www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

so what's living in your cd players at the moment

Postby Sandford_Merlin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:54 pm

Jinder

Not heard of Jinder?

Jinder should be heard?

Of course Jinder should be heard of; and heard.

www.jinder.co.uk & www.myspace.com/jinder

Just can't stop putting this one on in our CD players, front room; bedroom and motor home; great stuff!

Just like Gordon; Jinder is always out on the road somewhere; a must see live act too.

Enjoy

Merlin
There's more to driving; than just knowing where the accelerator is!

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Tangerine Dream are never far away from the top of my listening pile. My interest in them started in 1974 and it has never waned. They are responsible from my love of electronic/ambient music and I regularly listen to artists such as Rudy Adrian, Ron Boots, Gert Emmens, VoLt, Bruno Sanfilippo, Harold Budd, Dead Can Dance, Pieter Nooten, Ulrich Schnauss, Free System Projekt, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Jonn Serrie and many, many more. :D

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:45 pm

If anyone is interested, Tangerine Dream are on their 40th Anniversary tour and are playing at the London Astoria on 20th April. This may be the only opportunity to see the German pioneers of electronic music, in the UK, this year.

Haircut101

what's on my turntable (iPod nano actually)

Postby Haircut101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:00 pm

Radiohead OK Computer. Was knocked out by this when it first emerged (along with Portishead's Dummy) and have been listening to it again incessantly. It really is a work of genius. What followed was patchy at best. This album is Radiohead's 'Sgt. Pepper'.

Got into Tangerine Dream in 1974 and got out of them a week later. Even went to see them at Hammy Odeon where boredom set in within 20 mins.

Amon Duul II - now we are talking.

And Gordon Giltrap. Ever heard of him? Bit long in the tooth now but still one of the very best (and a smashing bloke too). :D
I just don't know what to do with myself...

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear you were bored by TD. I also got into them in 1974 and have stuck with them (bar a few years in the 90's). I will no doubt be amazed by them yet again, tomorrow. I agree with you about GG, terrific bloke and he's not a bad guitarist either. Currently listening to a promo of Ulrich Schnauss's third album, titled "Goodbye" and various tracks by Baykal Sarioglu and Bruno Sanfilippo. :D

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Has anyone heard The John Butler Trio. A great band with a quite distinct sound. If you like acoustic try a YouTube search for the band and listen to 'Ocean'. Truly inspired! :o
Bob

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 pm

I've been listening to plenty of Rudy Adrian recently (ambient and sequencer
based electronic music). :D

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Leo Kottke - 6 and 12 String Guitar
Tommy Emmanuel - Live One
Tony McManus - Ceol More
Isaac Guillory - Days of 49
Martin Simpson - Cool and Unusual
Laurence Juber - The Collection
Gordon Giltrap - Solo
Pierre Bensusan - Spices
Adrian Legg - Guitar for Mortals

OK, so there not ALL in my cd player, they are all in my van.

GORDON
Site Admin

Isaac Guillary.

Postby GORDON » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi Steve.

SO good to see Isaac on your list my friend. I had a look at some early footage on YOUTUBE, and it reminded me of how much I miss the man, and how good he was.No flash, no hundred miles an hour runs, no doubling as a drum kit, just pure unadulterated great music and song. This man should not have been taken from us at such a young age.

Isaac was one of the few people I made the effort to leave the house to see and he NEVER dissapointed. He had it all, great looks, great stage presence and pure style. Rest in peace Isaac wherever you are sir. This crazy old music scene of ours misses you. I don't think we will see the likes of you again. I had better stop here as I can feel myself going off on one!

Be Well Steve.

G.

leesguitar

Postby leesguitar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi guys , yes Isaac was a fantastic player and person , many years ago i saw him at Henry Boons pub in Wakefield and sat right in front of him , his playing and singing was an insperation , and he played a Takamine EN20 just like i had at the time. When the gig was over i plucked up enough courage to approach him to talk about the guitar. What a nice guy , he talked for ages and my wife had to drag me away , what a sad loss , but his music lives on Lee
K YARI G1F ACOUSTIC

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:53 pm

I miss Isaac alot. He Lived in Newcastle, and often played at local venues such as The Customs House in South Shields or The Buddle in Wallsend, so I saw him countless times from the late 80's until his last gig in November 2000.

It was great to discover those clips on YouTube. The picture quality isn't great, but just to see him again put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye.

dominic

Postby dominic » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 pm

As something of a collector of great instrumental tracks, particularly guitar instrumentals, my car cd player contains my latest discovery.
If you are unfamiliar with The Spotnicks, check them out on youtube (Spotnicks theme) or their own website www.spotnicks.net.(there is an English version)
If you thought Abba was Swedens greatest export, think again, the Spotnicks have been around since 1958, have produced over 700 tracks and released 42 albums and they're stil touring. in particular hear their cover of "Petite Fleur", the most amazing, rich and almost haunting baritone guitar sound i've ever heard.(I think it's baritone, I await confirmation from the maestro).

Note to Gordon. I'm the Dominic fromerly of West India House, Bridgwater. Hope you're both well.

dominic

My cd player

Postby dominic » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 pm

Further to my previous post, I'm also listening to the
CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM soundtrack, this is a cd of instrumental tracks that is at times quite bizarre. the first track is the theme to the programme, it is called FROLIC and is by LUCIANO MICHELINI, a very jolly track that always raises a smile. check out CYE on youtube. the programme stars Larry David (Sienfeld) and was totally unscripted, just a plot given to the actors, the rest improvised.

TTToni

Postby TTToni » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 pm

Hobo wrote:Tangerine Dream are never far away from the top of my listening pile. My interest in them started in 1974 and it has never waned. They are responsible from my love of electronic/ambient music and I regularly listen to artists such as Rudy Adrian, Ron Boots, Gert Emmens, VoLt, Bruno Sanfilippo, Harold Budd, Dead Can Dance, Pieter Nooten, Ulrich Schnauss, Free System Projekt, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Jonn Serrie and many, many more. :D

I listened to one of Tangerine Dream's records last night, unfortunately it's not my cup of tea.

At the moment I have Eric Clapton - Unplugged in my CD player upstairs, but for this week I shall be listening to vinyl. The Doors and Fleetwood Mac are just two band names I've seen in the pile, but it's all mainly from the 70s I think...

Return to “More Music”