Steve Hackett Acoustic Trio

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

Steve Hackett Acoustic Trio

Postby piotrwargan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Hello,
As the topic of this section of the forum is "more music - other musicians", I would like to say that I am looking forward to seeing Steve Hackett live: today in my hometown (Wroclaw, Poland) :D (I am a fan of Genesis too).

I could see Steve Hackett's name mentioned several times in the forum posts, and I would be happy to know if Gordon and Steve have maybe played together on some occassion?

All the best,

Piotr

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Steve Hackett Acoustic Trio

Postby GORDON » Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Piotr

Many years ago met Steve at a rehearsal studio...nice man. No he has never expressed any interest in working with me, and why should he when he is such a complete player himself.

Enjoy the concert.

G.

piotrwargan

It was a fantastic evening!

Postby piotrwargan » Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 am

What I would like to share with you after the concert:

Good old posters - always reliable
Information seems to be everywhere, but often comes too late. This time a good old poster proved to be the best source. I saw it when I stopped by a red light (a love this place, but the line of cars has to be long enough, so I stop by an old poster pillar). The bottom lines said: Jimmy Hendrix songs played by a symphonic orchestra, and the band of Lech Cichonski (Polish guitarist, well known in here), and below it: Steve Hackett Acoustic Trio. Interesting, but do they really want Steve Hackett to play Hendrix acoustically?!

Big venue - two parts
There were two parts: Hendrix symphonically and then Steve Hackett acoustically.
Why Hendrix? For 9 years in a row, there has been an attempt to break a Guinness record in the number of guitar players playing Hey Joe on the market square in Wroclaw. The record has not been broken yet, but many young people started learning how to play the guitar.
Can Hendrix be played by an electric band and a symphonic orchestra? - Yes. Why would they blind the audience from time to time with painfully strong lights (straight in the eyes!), I cannot tell...

The audience (at least a big part of it) was, however, waiting to see Steve Hackett and his musicians. I have found that he wrote something in his blog about his stay in Wroclaw (some photos where you can see my hometown are here, so please take a look :-) http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/tour35.html ).

This was magic - the guitar, the flute and the piano (and soft lights too) - these guys spelled magic! The tunes included several from Genesis times, from the first record of Steve Hackett plus some more. There was a fan screaming with joy from the back of the audience whenever he recognized a song. Otherwise the people were so quiet that Steve even said that this is a „very quiet audience” (maybe resting after Hendrix?).

Autograph?
I had an idea to get his autograph (although I knew that it may be hard - big venue and the reserved character of the musician), but I prepared Tokyo Tapes DVD and a permanent pen. I had a lot of luck - thanks to my wife! During the encore she said - lets go closer to the stage. So we were standing close to the path from the stage to the dressing-room, two security guards were there as well... creating a wall (how can people be that big!). No chance, I thought. The musicians are slowly walking down the stage and soon it will be too late. My wife: call him! So I called out: Steve could you sign it form me? And he came to me and put his autograph on the Tokyo Tapes. Another fan was happy to get his autograph too, and Steve smiled, thanked me for the pen and left. A huge crowd of fans was behind us at that time waiving Genesis records, but no success for them.

This is why I like posters and red lights (traffic ones surely, and not in all places :-))

Cheers,
Piotr

Return to “More Music”