So what's living in your CD players at the moment...

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:12 am

TTToni wrote:
Hobo wrote:Tangerine Dream are never far away from the top of my listening pile. My interest in them started in 1974 and it has never waned. They are responsible from my love of electronic/ambient music and I regularly listen to artists such as Rudy Adrian, Ron Boots, Gert Emmens, VoLt, Bruno Sanfilippo, Harold Budd, Dead Can Dance, Pieter Nooten, Ulrich Schnauss, Free System Projekt, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Jonn Serrie and many, many more. :D

I listened to one of Tangerine Dream's records last night, unfortunately it's not my cup of tea.

At the moment I have Eric Clapton - Unplugged in my CD player upstairs, but for this week I shall be listening to vinyl. The Doors and Fleetwood Mac are just two band names I've seen in the pile, but it's all mainly from the 70s I think...

Shame you didn't enjoy the TD, they are a love 'em, or hate 'em band. Which album was it?

Currently in my cd player - Michael Hoenig "Departure From The Northern Wasteland"

scottj1

cd's

Postby scottj1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:03 pm

totally different from gg but i'm really into al dimeola at the minute.he's one of the few american guitarists i like.

BB

Isaac Guillory

Postby BB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:58 pm

Isaac Guillory...

Wowee. What stunning music and one of the all-time great performers. He was recommended to me some years ago and, for some reason, I can't have taken much notice. Those YouTube vids were a revelation. Even better is that the full 50 minute performance from 1989 is available for free download from http://www.anetstation.com/ [based in Antarctica!]: an internet radio station he helped set up.
Around the bend, my huckleberry friend.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Apart from something by GG of course.... it's 'Incahoots' by The Huckleberries - sort of folk, sort of celtic, sort of bluegrass, sort of world music. Check out their music at http://www.thehuckleberries.com

theMusicMan

Postby theMusicMan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I have loads on my iPod... included in my list of top played are:

Frost: Milliontown - superb modern (single album) prog-rock outfit
Steve Hackett: - loads of stuff, especially like his rendition of Dance on a Volcano, saw him in Colston Hall a year or two ago and he was excellent. I also interviewed him for my www site - to which he was very kind and generous in providing information.
Genesis: Lots of... say no more...
Oh Magnum Mysterium: beautiful choral piece, so sublime and beautiful to listen to
Agnus Dei: Choral version of Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings
Miserére: Gregorio Allegri - Another superb and classic choral work
Some of my own music: I actually do like some of the ambient/synth/electronic stuff I have created (shout if you want a listen!!)
Global Communications: Pentamorous Metamorphosis - probably one of the best ambient albums ever created (in my opinion of course) :)
Silent Night, played by me on my synths, and sang by my darling (then 8yrs old) daughter - so special to me... (I'm a big softie)

There... how's that :)

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm

"Piano Textures" - Bruno Sanfilippo.

For those unfamiliar with Bruno, he is a talented Argentinian musician (based in Spain). This album concentrates on ambient soundscapes using mainly piano and cello and is reminiscent of Brian Eno and Harold Budd. Essential listening!

clemdallaway

Postby clemdallaway » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:44 am

My latest "listenings" are:

Blackmore's Night - The Village Lantern
Newton Faulkner - Hand Built By Robots
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die

and I have recently dicovered Rosa Rebecka, she has a beautiful vocal: http://www.myspace.com/rosarebecka, well worth a listen!

Clem
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!!!
www.myspace.com/clemdallawayguitarist

stevejd

in my cd

Postby stevejd » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:40 am

An album I am playing a lot of at the moment is William Ackerman - Returning. This album is made of new recordings of a number of his older tunes. I play several pieces of his already and just started working on another one. Very emotional acoustic guitar that it is easy to lose oneself in. Have a look at www.williamackerman.com

Return to “More Music”