Bert Jansch

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

fingerlock

Bert Jansch

Postby fingerlock » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Show 5: Folk with Bert Jansch
Phil meets up with folk legend Bert Jansch, the Pentangle guitarist that helped bring folk music to a wider audience in the 60s, and they talk about his playing style and about his influences.

Sunday 5 October, 7pm &
Friday 10 October 7pm (Repeat)

On Planet Rock

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Is this Phil as in Manzanera?

fingerlock

Bert Jansch

Postby fingerlock » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Yes it sure is

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Just listened to the programme. Very interesting, particularly the bit about a young Bert trying to make his own guitar! Nice to hear Phil Manzanera too, another guy who doesn't always get the recognition that he deserves.

fingerlock

Postby fingerlock » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 pm

I am ashamed to say that I hadnt taken a great deal of notice of him till I saw him on a DVD called Dave Gilmour and freinds at the Albert Hall, he was awesome

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:38 pm

Most people who have heard of him just think of him as the Roxy Music guitarist (pretty good in itself!). In fact he's done a lot of solo stuff, has composed music for Roxy and others, including Pink Floyd, and has many production credits too, including the recent output from David Gilmour. Have a look at www.manzanera.com and youtube too - in particular there's some good footage of him playing at the guitar legends bash in Spain. All along the Watchtower with Dylan is worth a look.

Return to “More Music”