RIP David Bowie

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Tom McCauley

RIP David Bowie

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:45 am

Hi everyone!

Such a sad start to the day but I don't know whether you've all been aware but sadly the singer David Bowie has died after a long battle of cancer for 18 months. He died a few days after releasing his new album and his 69th birthday.

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/e ... es-aged-69 - the news story.

https://open.spotify.com/user/doctorwho ... 2W1SMD4gSx - a playlist I've done in his memory with some of his songs.

If you're into David Bowie, tell me what songs you liked about him.

Have you also seen him in concert? Tell me your experiences.
Last edited by Tom McCauley on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom McCauley

piotrwargan

Re: RIP David Bowie

Postby piotrwargan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 am

Very sad news...

I would say "Space Oddity" and "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" would be my favourite songs from David Bowie.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:51 am

Yes you're right. It is such sad news...
My favourite songs have to be "Space Oddity", "Life On Mars", "Let's Dance", "Little Drummer Boy / Peace On Earth" (which he did with Bing Crosby) and "Under Pressure" (which he did with Queen). There's other I like but those are the ones I like in particular.

Thoughts go out to his family at this sad time.
Tom McCauley

steve

Postby steve » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am

Yes, very sad news indeed and the world is slowly coming to terms with the loss of one of our true original artists.

Perhaps as shocking for some fans though is the way he kept his illness silent for so long and channelled his feelings into his most recent work, the album "Blackstar", released only last Friday. It has received rave reviews everywhere and people are now only beginning to understand the motivations and dark mysterious content within it. In light of his terminal illness it's hardly surprising in hindsight.

Artistically he's always been in control of his destiny and as his long-time producer, Toni Visconti, has tweeted today "His death was no different to his life - a work of art".

My favourite Bowie songs are probably "Life On Mars", "Ashes To Ashes" and anything from the "Low" and "Heroes" albums. If anyone hasn't heard his "Berlin" records from 1977 co-produced with Brian Eno, where have you been?

R.I.P. Mr Bowie
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Very sad and shocking news to wake up to, although it puts Blackstar into perspective.

My favourite David Bowie songs would include Space Oddity, Starman, The Man Who Sold the World, Life on Mars, Changes, Rebel Rebel, Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, Fashion...... To someone of my age he was one of the many soundtracks of growing up from a pre-teen listening to Space Oddity to a twenty one year old fresh from university listening to Scary Monsters.

I only saw him live in concert once and that was at a sunny Milton Keynes Bowl, in the early 80s.

RIP

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Recently releasing Blackstar then he goes.... a true legend he was... he will never be forgotten I'd say. :(
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:58 pm

There was two TV shows named after two of his songs as well I seem to remember...
Tom McCauley

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 pm

I only heard this sad and tragic news this afternoon,and have recently put a posting on Twitter and Facebook.

In the early seventies I supported him at Avery Hill college.He made a point of coming through to speak with me.He was a nice unpretentious person.I remembering seeing him do a floor spot at a John Martyn gig in Richmond years ago round about the time of Space Oddity and he was great then.Good voice,good repartee with the audience.He even had long curly hair then.

Years ago he ran a club called The Beckenham Arts Lab.David was always a doer way back then bless him.

I remember Rick Wakeman booking him for his club and putting an ad in the local paper.Nobody believed it really was David Bowie so nobody turned up.Rick's claim to fame was that DB opened and closed his club on the same night!

I'm sure that Rick may well relate that very story on his own website in a tribute to the man.

I had great respect for his creativity,and Life on Mars is a mini masterpiece.

Our thoughts go out to yet another human being that suffered with this dreadful disease and died far too young.

RIP Beckenham boy.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Thoughts and prayers go to his family. May they know we're all thinking of them.
Tom McCauley

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm

It was a big shock to hear about this on the news this morning. I had the pleasure of seeing him at the NEC in a concert called the TwixMix in the 90s where he appeared alongside Echobelly, Alanis Morrisette and The Lightning Seeds. Two things of note happened during his end-of-show slot:

1) he did an encore, something which I understand was quite a rarity
2) the reason he did the encore was so that he could shoot the video for Hello Spaceboy which involved camera shots of the audience from a remote camera on cables overhead.

I appeared on a David Bowie video (just a face in the crowd). Surreal. :shock:

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Andrew,

I'd like to see that video!

Tom
Tom McCauley

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 pm

@Tom McCauley It's onYouTube at https://youtu.be/8kkmy8wgEo8

That was one amazing gig, about 2.5 hours of music almost non-stop. Just watching it again took me back, like being there. I was just left of centre stage about 20 feet back so really close. There was no seating, it was a stand-up gig in one of the side exhibition halls, number 2 if memory serves. The atmosphere was indescribable.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:17 pm

AndrewD wrote:@Tom McCauley It's onYouTube at https://youtu.be/8kkmy8wgEo8

That was one amazing gig, about 2.5 hours of music almost non-stop. Just watching it again took me back, like being there. I was just left of centre stage about 20 feet back so really close. There was no seating, it was a stand-up gig in one of the side exhibition halls, number 2 if memory serves. The atmosphere was indescribable.

Thanks Andrew. Will have a look at that when I get chance.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:52 pm

A radio station where I work on Tuesday afternoons paid their respects by playing a few of his songs.
Tom McCauley

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 pm

Also an internet radio station which I listen to on Monday evenings paid their respects too.
Tom McCauley

Return to “More Music”