ROBIN MILLAR

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

ROBIN MILLAR

Postby GORDON » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:21 am

Did anyone here my friend Robin Millar yesterday on Desert Island Discs?

He was outstanding.

G.

Johnty8

Re: ROBIN MILLAR

Postby Johnty8 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 am

No, but mention of Robin Millar does remind me of a coincidence, as it is certainly nothing more, concerning something asked of me by a friend, 20yrs ago, embarking on a semi professional singing career.

One thing always to remember, was the question and I said ... 'sound the end of each word with clarity.'

Since the 60's there has crept into the music industry, particularly with singer songwriters, the tendency to slur in and out of the lyric. This resulted in huge numbers of artists printing all the lyrics on the inner sleeve. This kept the faithful happy, but did nothing for singing as an art form.

Sinatra once said ... ' if you can't hear me articulate the words ... what is the point? '

This man not only did that, he sounded every syllable and made the complete connection with the listener.

The slurring unfortunately continues to this day, like an illness, and so many times the lyrics are unclear.

The end clarified often makes the word.

I read a review of Robin Millar's philosophy made a few years ago,

about singing he said ... ' pay as much attention to the way you end words and lines as you do to how they start '

Robin was clearly speaking from vast experience; I was speaking from common sense.

All the best

John

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: ROBIN MILLAR

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:39 am

Johnty8 wrote:No, but mention of Robin Millar does remind me of a coincidence, as it is certainly nothing more, concerning something asked of me by a friend, 20yrs ago, embarking on a semi professional singing career.

One thing always to remember, was the question and I said ... 'sound the end of each word with clarity.'

Since the 60's there has crept into the music industry, particularly with singer songwriters, the tendency to slur in and out of the lyric. This resulted in huge numbers of artists printing all the lyrics on the inner sleeve. This kept the faithful happy, but did nothing for singing as an art form.

Sinatra once said ... ' if you can't hear me articulate the words ... what is the point? '

This man not only did that, he sounded every syllable and made the complete connection with the listener.

The slurring unfortunately continues to this day, like an illness, and so many times the lyrics are unclear.

The end clarified often makes the word.

I read a review of Robin Millar's philosophy made a few years ago,

about singing he said ... ' pay as much attention to the way you end words and lines as you do to how they start '

Robin was clearly speaking from vast experience; I was speaking from common sense.

All the best

John

Speaking of coincidences I received two,lovely e- mails from the great man only last night...spooky or what!

Be well.

G.

Return to “More Music”