Lou Reed

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

Lou Reed

Postby GORDON » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:17 pm

I was never a fan ,but sad to hear of his passing.

My friend Herbie Flowers played bass on his classic track WALK ON THE WILDSIDE.I always thought it was some hip New York session man such was the coolness of the track.RIP Lou.

Roger USA

Re: Lou Reed

Postby Roger USA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:18 pm

I had just seen this on the news over here before I saw your posting, Gordon.

Like you I wasn't a huge fan, but coincidently on Friday I was reading a feature about him (focused on a 70s photographic history) and accompanying short interview with him in November's Mojo magazine. It was only when I read the article that I discovered he'd had a liver transplant in May of this year.

RIP Lou.

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Gordon/Roger,

Like you both I was never a big fan of Lou Reed, but then without Velvet Underground there may never have been Roxy Music (and I am a fan of theirs!)

RIP

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Roger wrote:Gordon/Roger,

Like you both I was never a big fan of Lou Reed, but then without Velvet Underground there may never have been Roxy Music (and I am a fan of theirs!)

RIP

My friend Neil Hubbard works a lot with Brian Ferry,who truly looks after his musicians and crew. Good for him. I personally never really got the whole Roxy thing,but the man has written a few good songs,and of course my old bass player Johnny Gustafson recorded a lot with the band in the early days Love is the drug I believe features John's distinctive bass playing.

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Gordon,

Yes Johnny Gustafson played with Roxy Music during the period '73-'75 on the albums "Stranded", "Country Life" and "Siren"(from which the single "Love is the Drug" was taken from) and also toured with them during this period, although he was never a "member" of the band. In his own words he was asked to join at the end of this period which he refused, and then his agent made some excessive demands to be part of an overseas tour - so the end of his Roxy days. The story goes that when they reformed in the late '70s none other than Herbie Flowers was approached to play on their comeback album!

Neil Hubbard came into the band later on (I've seen him live with them a few times) and of course has been a big part of Ferry's solo work too.

Indeed, there were some great bands with great guitarists making great albums in the '70s, but as I've said before IMHO "Perilous Journey", "Visionary" and of course the mighty "Fear of the Dark" rank alongside anything else produced during this period :D

Roger

PS Simon Phillips also has a link to Roxy Music - he played on the highly-rated 801 live album (Phil Manzanera/Eno/Francis Monkman et al) in his early days

Return to “More Music”