Singer/Songwriter needs guidance

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

diceman56

Singer/Songwriter needs guidance

Postby diceman56 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Gordon,
This is really a question for you personally. The only place where I could send directly to you, hopefully for a personal reply. I have followed your music from the beginning when I bought an LP (remember them??) of Footsteps on the sea when you played with Chris Laurence and Graham Kendrick. Still an amazing acoustic-ness (if that's a word). Your riffs which filled out the sound were so inspiring, a treat to listen too.
I have been a songwriter myself for years, and now multi-track onto cd. Not E.M.I. standard, but a lot of people keep telling me 'you need to push your music, it's too good to leave alone'. Now I really want to do more with the music. Just to offer my songwriting as I feel that the overall sound has real potential. Please Gordon can you tell me if you would be willing to listen to my music or just give me an idea where I can go to get people interested. I've just written a 'christmas' song and I've been told that It really needs to be promoted. I've got it on cd but where do I go??? I don't push myself, so I think it's time I did. Is there anything you can help me with? Thanks a lot, and take care. Steve Briscoe.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi Steve.

This IS a tough one my friend, and I shall tell you why. Believe it or not, I'm in the same position as you, and even my friend Rick Wakeman has a similar problem getting his music promoted and listened to by a wider audience.

The media and record companies in general aren't interested in the serous stuff but only the stuff they think will give a swift return,it's VERY disheartening. If you get a chance, read my comments in relation to a concert I did only a couple of weeks back where only 30 odd people turned up, this was in the main due to the lack of publicity and media support, and this was for a CHARITY.

I feel very privileged when folk want my opinion on their work, and it's very flattering, but at the end of the day my opinion means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things, and most of my albums get released without any promotion whatsoever, in fact the main bulk of my product is sold at my concerts.When was the last time you saw me on TV, or heard me on Radio 1 OR even 2?

If you, as a creative person feels that your work is worthy, then that at the end of the day is all that matters, and your belief in yourself will hopefully carry you through. I'm sorry if I have painted a black picture here, but I am if nothing else a pragmatist!

By all means send a CD through and I shall give it my full attention. I wish you well in all you do sir, and THANKYOU for visiting my site and taking the time to post a very thought provoking note.

Warm Regards.

Gordon.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi Steve.

I forgot to give the advice you asked for my friend.One way of trying to get your songs noticed is by securing a publishing deal, easier said than done of course, and there are no shortcuts,so here's what you do..

Get a CD recorded of your best pieces and duplicate as many as possible, and then send to all the major AND minor publishers in the book. If your work is strong then I'm sure you will get a response. The other way would of course be to get performance filmed and put on to YOUTUBE, getting a MYSPACE page would also help.

Hope the above is of use, but I bet you already thought of all this, which really at the end of the day isn't rocket science!

My best to you sir.

G.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words by the way, it's ALL appreciated I can assure you.

Return to “More Music”