"Other artists..."

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

"Other artists..."

Postby AndrewD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 pm

We moved house in June and I have been busy with various things including moving boxes of things from one part of a room to another part of a room (as one does when one has moved).

Then came the Olympics and I took a break from box-relocating to watch the closing ceremony, a tremendous selection of music from my childhood and more recent times. One ELO track caused me to break out my two ELO albums which I listened to in the car en route to and from work. Then I looked at my CD towers and thought "How many of those discs have I actually listened to in the last year. In fact, the last 5 years?" I set myself a task to work my way through all of my CDs and listen to them all.

I organise my discs alphabetically by artist. I will add that Gordon isn't in my main rack as I can't fit them all in. I have something like 250 CDs, not that many in my view, but my towers only hold 170. Being really systematic and organised I did the obvious thing...start at L and work backwards... :shock: Then I will start at M and work more conventionally...

I have rediscovered some gems, things I had completely forgotten about, some things I decided had really past their best and which I have donated to charity, and I am not halfway through yet. I heard an Yngwie Malmsteem track that sounded like Eddie van Halen, a Heart album that I immediately got rid of, some classic Free with Paul Rogers amazing vocals and Paul Kossoff's sublime guitar playing. I have yet to revist my Rush, Mike Oldfield (though that gets well aired), Santana...

Then there are the classical CDs.

I suppose the upshot of all this is that it struck me how easy it is to forget the "familiar" that is under my nose, music which I have not listened to for a long time and which comes back fresh and even showing new textures or associations.

Apart from the occasional bit that really was best left forgotten :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: "Other artists..."

Postby GORDON » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Good for you Andrew.

I guarantee you will love the new Ravens and Lullabies album judging by the names you mentioned....Right up your street methinks. Good to hear from you again sir.

Be well.

G.

Return to “More Music”