Jake Shimabukuro

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Roger USA

Jake Shimabukuro

Postby Roger USA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 pm

At the weekend I had the opportunity to see Jake Shimabukuro the "ukulele master" in concert with the Winston Salem Symphony Orchestra. I can't remember how I first stumbled across Jake's music as I would not usually seek out ukulele music, but what he can do with his four string instrument is remarkable.

He has just released an album "Grand Ukulele" which has been produced by Alan Parsons. In the past his music has been solo ukulele music, but on this latest album Alan Parsons added some orchestration to a number of tracks, which led to him appearing as a guest artist with the WSO as part of his current tour. Most of what he played were solo instrumental original pieces, but those with added orchestration worked well.

He has just turned 36 and success came relatively late as You Tube brought him to a wider audience (he grew up and lives in Hawaii). Consequently he speaks with the modesty and charm of someone who remembers all the years of toil as part of a ukulele trio and doesn't take his current success for granted.

There are a number of his original pieces that bring Gordon's music to my mind, but that might just be me. You may well already have heard of him, but if you haven't then his music may be an interesting diversion. Samples from his latest album on iTunes (if it is on the UK version) would give a good indication with tracks like Island Fever Blues, Gentlemandolin, More Ukulele and Missing Three.

Here a couple of You Tube links for those that are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujFfKmSHgfQ&list=UUHvWv6d-IWyWquyq_xuFAuQ&index=8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeshimabukuro?feature=results_main

I may not have inserted these links correctly. They are from Jake's U-Tube channel: an "Island Fever Blues" solo and the "Gentle Mandolin" playing as the soundtrack on the opening item of his channel, but I am sure you can find them if you desire.

All the best,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Jake Shimabukuro

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Great stuuf.

Thanks for the posting Roger.

G.

Return to “More Music”