BBC 4 tonight

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

kevin

BBC 4 tonight

Postby kevin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 pm

From 9pm
Fairport Convention Documentary
Fairport Convention Concert March 2012
Richard Thompson Documentary
Folk at th BBC
Bit of a feast for me or anyone who just likes quality musicians playing quality music whatever their tastes.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: BBC 4 tonight

Postby GORDON » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 am

It was interesting to watch a documentary about many of the people I know and have worked with. That Richard Thompson was pretty brilliant from the word go wasn't he!

Be Well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Gordon
I suspected that you would have some connections with the musicians involved. As for Richard Thompson you are right how do you get that good at seventeen! Though I did think he came accross as quite a complex character.
Have youe ever been close to joining Fairport I would think your easy going nature would fit in well.
Some nice instuments on display (Fylde) (Avalon I think?)
All the best
Kevin

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Great to see Simon Nicol playing the Rob Armstrong parlour guitar on Fotheringay.

kevin

Postby kevin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks Russ it wasnt an Avalon then, should have checked but I thought probably too much of a coincidence as Gordon is associated with both makes.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, indeed it was a Rob Armstrong guitar.

Rob has been involved with that scene for years, and way before I got to kinow him and use his instruments.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 am

kevin wrote:Hi Gordon
I suspected that you would have some connections with the musicians involved. As for Richard Thompson you are right how do you get that good at seventeen! Though I did think he came accross as quite a complex character.
Have youe ever been close to joining Fairport I would think your easy going nature would fit in well.
Some nice instuments on display (Fylde) (Avalon I think?)
All the best
Kevin

Hi Kev.

I recorded and toured with Ric Sanders in the late 80's. We did an album called One to One. People still speak about the gigs we did way back then as something special. But as with all these things,personality problems began to creep in!
it's an old story.

There have only been two bands that have asked me to join them,and they were Magna Carta and The Strawbs. I somehow don't think that my style would have fitted Fairport do you Kev?

Be Well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi gordon
Actually thinking musically you are right.
I guess from a "fan" point of view (and certainly myself) one tends tends to follow musicians that not only do you like their music but also ones who's personalities concur with your own.
I do not know any of Fairport members but thought they came across as quite amiable and that I think, led me to formullate the question plus I am a musically curious type anyway!
As for Rick Sanders I did not realise you had worked with him (which justified asking the question for me) and consequently do not know the "story" I am not what you would call a big Fairport fan and am probably interested in them as part of music history as much as their music ( though some of it is good) I know nothing of Rick Sanders to be honest but would be surprised if the personality problem stemmed by you.
Thanks for being so forthright
All the best
Kevin

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Kev.

You are very perceptive sir.

I like to think it wasn't me that brought about the demise of the duo.

But if truth be told it was my decision to distance myself from it all.

Yes, they do come across as an affable lot don't they,and I'm sure they all get on really well these days. I wish them well. Like you I'm not a fan of that sort of music, but they are all very fine musicians.

The older I get the less I'm inclined to spend precious time with people I don't relate to or whos company I really don't enjoy. Hence the reason why I have such a high regard for Oliver Wakeman, who is not only a world class musician but a lovely human being, who has truly got his head screwed on properly.

I have no idea what sort of future this duo has, but in the short term I just want to focus on what is and enjoy it as much as I can.

Oliver is such a world class player he deserves to be in a mega successfull stadium band. I wish him well in all he does and trust that the future will be kinder to him than the disgracefull treatment he got from his last band, mentioning no names.

Oh dear I seem to have gone off on one here.......Do forgive me.

Thanks again for your posting and....

Be Well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Gordon
No need for forgiveness!
Thanks again I really do value your openess as i'm sure others do on this site. People like myself looking in on professional music really only know what the artist reveals to them.
Looking forward even more to Manchester gig now..
All the best
Kevin

Return to “More Music”