Another cd...

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

Another cd...

Postby AndrewD » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I've just bolstered my GG collection with the double CD of "Peacock Party" and "Airwaves". The thing that I find amazing is that I hardly know any of the pieces on these albums (apart from The Dodo's Dream, of course) so it is very refreshing to listen to something completely new to me. I've also got a copy of "Almanac" by Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo.

(Who?)

They did the theme music to "The Shadow Line" that was on the Beeb recently...not GG, I know, so I shouldn't have mentioned it in this part of the forum but I couldn't resist...

are-jay-enn

Re: Another cd...

Postby are-jay-enn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:05 pm

It's pretty magical picking up new (to you) music like that. I still try and treat new CDs the same way I would treat a new album back in the day - plenty of time and attention - after all we had to wait years sometimes between releases. It's all too easy these days to limit new discs to one or two listens.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm

You are oh so right. The music industry has changed so quickly in a relatively short space of time. Individual tracks are so accessible now that the album concept (as opposed to the concept album) is far less important than it used to be. Don't get me wrong - I know that a great deal of care and consideration goes into selecting and sequencing tracks on most, if not all, albums, even today, but I think that the subtleties of this are lost in most cases because people don't listen to whole albums any more. I can remember settling down for an evening with headphones on and a solid pile of 33 1/3s by the side of my turntable...

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Hello,
Speaking of albums and turntables... ;-) Although the GGs "Live at Oxford" is played from the CD on my Discman right now, I would like to say that my collection of Gordon's music have been expanded recently with his three classic albums on vinyl records (I have two of them on CD, but thought of going back in time and touching and playing the original records). This vinyl part started with my "all times - all artists" favourite "Visionary"). It is a joy to listen to these good old vinyls. And another thing is the size of pictures and text (I have to change my reading glasses for stronger ones, I know :-), but the contact with the sleeves and inserts is something that is missing in mp3 and is limited (by the size) in case of CDs. On the other hand music on mp3 seems to belong to the world of ideas - no material things (like a piece of vinyl, plastic, or paper are involved, just the device and these zeroes and ones - and I can agree that the future (no matter how nostalgic we are about vinyls) belongs to the 0 and 1 technology (the sleeve can be presented on a screen anyway...). But... the records appearing in music shops indicate that this may not be the whole truth (just hope to get some vinyl record on my name day ;-) - oh yes we celebrate something like this down here (plus birthdays).
Cheers,
P.

Return to “Gordon's Music”