A new member writes

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

vyas

A new member writes

Postby vyas » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Hello. Sue asked me to post some kind of a profile on the site. Not sure anyone else has done so, but nevermind...here goes.
I first got into Gordon about a hundred years ago, in my early teens (about 1977 really). I had started to play the guitar a year or so before this. Despite my youthful ambition, and confidence, I quickly became resigned to the fact that here was a man whose guitar playing was about a close to perfect as I had ever heard. Gordon's music is very accomplished at a technical level - many other guitarists also have this. For me, what distinguishes our man, tho,' is the sense that the guitar pieces are "just right" for the guitar. Pieces seem always to be in just the right key to allow the guitar's natural resonance, and harmonics to chime through. The arrangements are sympathetic, never overbearing. There's no "showing off" - simple or complex passages always feel ..."right." This is a rare commodity in a world of music where so many guitarists are continuously trying to show everyone how they can be the next Hendrix, by crudely emulating the old one!

Gordon, you wont remember this, but I accosted you at a Mike Oldfield gig at the Royal Festival Hall, in 1979. You very kindly autographed my programme.

Over the years my guitar playing tastes have evolved; and my list of guitar heroes has grown. Ali Farka Toure, Johnny Marr, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins), Bert Jansch - to name a few; but Gordon will always have a permanent place in the squad.

Julian Vyas

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Julian,

thanks for posting. I've moved it to the Gordon's music part of the Forum rather than general chat - hope you don't mind :?:

Great to see that Gordon has fans so far afield - I think you win the award for our most distant member - unless anyone knows better??

Sue

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Greeting Julian.

Believe it or not I DO remember someone asking me for my autograph at that Oldfield concert. I was VERY flattered especially attending another artists show and to be asked for an autograph, I believed I signed your programme! The other things I remember was that Phil Beer was one of the guitarists in the Mikes band, and also David Bedford rang a HUGE bell during one section of the concert in between conducting I believe.

THANKS for your very kind words, much appreciated.

Be Well.

Gordon.

GORDON
Site Admin

SUE our webmaster's birthday

Postby GORDON » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:46 am

It's Sue Holton's birthday today. I'm sure you would like to join with me in wishing her a great day.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”