New additions!!!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

New additions!!!

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:44 pm

There is a new guitar in the Gannicott (father & son) collection! A rather fantastic Tele; in fact it's a mahogany slab body, ESP neck, single coil tapped DiMarzio humbucker and a USA Kahler trem. What's more it has a history...it was once owned by our very own beloved Mr GG!! This is a fantastic guitar which can sound either like a twangy Tele or a fat, chugging Gibson. Only down side is the weight....bloody heavy!!! So I guess it'll be Ash's young shoulder bearing the weight more often than mine!

Watch this space for further new arrivals - next week we are off for a day in Denmark Street and having sold a lot of 'minor' guitars recently we could be coming home with a couple of more serious ones. Ash is interested in trying out a few '60's Gibsons; Melody Makers and LP double cuts, whilst I've got my eye on either a Greco Zemaitis or a Peter Cook 'Knobbly Ned'. Well, I never said I had good taste did I?
Cheers,
Russ

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi guys.

When you are in Denmark St, go to WUNJO GUITARS, my friend Brian a great scots guy owns the shop and they have some fine stuff in stock at the RIGHT prices. Say you are pals of mine and you will be well looked after.

The other shop in the same street is Angel guitars on the first floor above I believe Hanks guitars. Again the prices are very reasonable.

Happy hunting...wish I could join you...what fun eh!

Love to the family.

G.

scottj1

new additions

Postby scottj1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:26 pm

There's no better feeling than walking into a guitar shop knowing you're going to come out with something!Pure joy!

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks Gordon...Wunjos is our favourite as well, so I expect that will be where we spend our hard earned cash!!! Thanks for the 'heads up' though, we definately will do a touch of name dropping!

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 am

Russ/Ash,

Have a GREAT time guys :D Be sure to let us know what you return with!

All the best,

Roger

PS Russ I'm sure you told me some time ago that you're into old motor bikes. If so, what do you know about Druid forks?

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am

OK guys...mission completed!!!
Fantastic day in London. Started off with a huge brunch at the legendary Ace Cafe on the North Circular, followed by a 30 minute tube ride to Oxford Circus and a walk to Denmark Street. The two shops which ticked all the boxes for us were Wunjo's and Regent. In Wunjo's I bought my 1970 'Knobbly Ned' at a really good price and over the road in Regent Ash got a great deal. For less than he was expecting to pay for an old guitar he ended up with re-issue Gretsch Corvette and a Vox AC4 head and cabinet. Also in the deal was a Carl Martin overdrive pedal and a load of 'freebies'. These two shops went out of their way to be polite and helpful......unlike one or two others we could mention.
We were really disappointed with the vintage stuff we looked at - in one shop everything was burried under dust and the salesman was making up prices off the top of his head, while in the other one the guitars just weren't very good!
We've come to the conclusion that if you want a Gibson Melody Maker, buy a new one for £400, it'll be far, far better than a 1960's one in every respect apart from the 'mojo'.

All said, a brilliant day and we even came away with some money left over!! Looking forward to the next visit!!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”