Some interesting/shocking news on the Brook Guitars website

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

Some interesting/shocking news on the Brook Guitars website

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 am

Was browsing on the website for Brook guitars (as is my wont) and noticed this news update which they put up on their site just over a week ago as part of their April news round up...

"April 2010

As you've probably heard the EU Commission are bringing in their new statute in two years time requiring all new stringed musical instruments built within the EU to have a regulatory decimal system of ten frets to the octave rather than the previous standard of twelve.

Rather than wait until the forthcoming law comes into effect, over the last six months we've been working on this first prototype based on our standard Clyst model.

It does sound a little different at first - but I'm sure we'll all get used to it after a while.

More April news to follow" :P

You may differ in your opinion but I see this as a great step forward for standardisation within musical instruments. It's about time that the archaic music world caught up with the Systeme Internationale's more user friendly system of units. Hopefully once this is rolled put over other sections of the orchestra/musical world it will make ensemble playing so much simpler. No more annoying questions from the sax player as he does some mental transposition into the key his instrument is in... "OK, you you're playing in G major so that means I'm playing in K minor and when you play that Emaj6 I play an H minor demented 5th with a diminished responsibility..." :twisted:

More on the news story (and lots of very lovely acoustic instruments) on Brooks' website http://www.brookguitars.com/
Last edited by Trevor Raggatt on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Nice one Trevor !! :lol:

Sue
GG webmaster

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Some interesting/shocking news on the Brook Guitars webs

Postby GORDON » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:32 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:Was browsing on the website for Brook guitars (as is my wont) and noticed this news update which they put up on their site just over a week ago as part of their April news round up...

"April 2010

As you've probably heard the EU Commission are bringing in their new statute in two years time requiring all new stringed musical instruments built within the EU to have a regulatory decimal system of ten frets to the octave rather than the previous standard of twelve.

Rather than wait until the forthcoming law comes into effect, over the last six months we've been working on this first prototype based on our standard Clyst model.

It does sound a little different at first - but I'm sure we'll all get used to it after a while.

More April news to follow" :P

You may differ in your opinion but I see this as a great step forward for standardisation within musical instruments. It's about time that the archaic music world caught up with the Systeme Internationale's more user friendly system of units. Hopefully once this is rolled put over other sections of the orchestra/musical world it will make ensemble playing so much simpler. No more annoying questions from the sax player as he does some mental transposition into the key his instrument is in... "OK, you you're playing in G major so that means I'm playing in K minor and when you play that Emaj6 I play an H minor demented 5th with a diminished responsibility..." :twisted:

More on the news story (and lots of very lovely acoustic instruments) on Brooks' website http://www.brookguitars.com/

APRIL FOOL METHINKS!!! Be Well Trev....G

Trevor Raggatt

Oh yes, but it's a good 'un!

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 am

Spot the give away bold/italic hints in the opening sentence - I just thought it was such a sweetly done little spoof by the guys down in Devon I had to share it.

Mind you, if the EU could sort out those odd transposing instruments scattered around the woodwind section... :D

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Trev,

despite not being taken in by it being an obvious April Fool, I thought it was excellent.

I did wonder if people would think the April news item about Gordon's music being sampled by an American hip-hop band was a joke, but that's completely true !! 8)

Sue
GG webmaster

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”