Vox Trems anyone??

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Vox Trems anyone??

Postby Russ Gannicott » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Ok guys...I have a problem!! I have recently aquired an early 1960's six string Vox 'Shadow' solid bodied electric which I am now trying to restore. All is going well as the guitar is in pretty good condition and 99% complete but the trem is causing me some problems. When I got the guitar it was fitted with a bridge (in the wrong place) which I don't believe it should have, and the trem mounted too far back on the body. When I removed the bridge and re-possitioned the trem unit it soon became apparent that the strings would touch the fingerboard all the way down!! There is no height adjustment on the trem and the neck hasn't been shimmed - any thoughts?
Cheers,
Russ

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 am

How about asking Alan Exley Russ? He's great at sorting these problems, he may even have the correct trem for it. Give him a go.OR my pal Paul Day is worth speaking with. E-mail me and I shall get his number for you.

Be Well you guys.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Russ,

I've had a look in a few of my old books and on the internet. Unfortunately I've drawn a blank - sorry! All I managed to find was a photo of said guitar complete with trem unit ( http://www.eddieslapper.co.uk/gallery/d ... um=7&pos=0 ). Perhaps this might help you with the trem position on the guitar body?

Anyway, Happy New Year to you and the family. Hope to see you next year sometime.

Best wishes,

Roger

PS There was also a question about the Vox on a forum, but then I guess you know about that one! :wink:

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Rog! Yes, that's the very same guitar! I've mounted the trem (without a bridge) and amazingly the intonation is pretty spot on! The problem witht he action was that the neck needed pulling forward which I have now don. The action is a little high by modern standards but the guitar plays pretty well considering its age and construction.

Thanks again for your help, and a very happy new year!

Russ, Carole and Ash.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Russ
My first electric guitar was an old early sixties Vox (which had an aerial socket instead of a standard jack :shock: ). I remember the necks were prone to warping and the only way I could get a decent action was to shim in the four corners where the neck was screwed to the body and then worry about the truss rod adjustment after it was as near as I could get to what I wanted. This worked pretty well until I got rid of it with only frets 18 to 21 on the G ever needing to be tweaked on a regular basis (about ever 5 to six weeks). I'm sure you don't need any advice on these things but, as I've come across it before, maybe it's worth a try. My guitar warped clockwise to the headstock but was only noticeable at the top end. A friend of mine had a worse problem and made a press with two lengths of heavy plywood and bolts down both sides which he tightened finger tight to a shaped inverse of the neck. He then steamed it every day over a week and tightened a bit more each time in the opposite of the warp. It seemed to work but re-warped within 2-3 months and also needed refretting. If it gets too bad it might be worth trying this but only if you are happy to refret.
Good luck with it
Happy New Year
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”