Rob Armstrong

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Rob Armstrong

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:42 am

Can I please take a little time to say how moved I was to read Gordon's 'in progress' tribute to the great Rob Armstrong. I count myself one of a very fortunate few who can call both these great men friends and have spent many enjoyable hours in the company of them both - individually and jointly.
One thing that Gordon failed to mention in depth was the great symbiotic relationship which exists between them - I truly believe that neither of them would be the men they are today without the other. Gordon's exacting requirements and pursuit of the holy grail of acoustic guitar sound has led Rob into teritory that he may not have otherwise explored and along that path Rob has discovered posibilities that only a visionary like Gordon has been able to exploit.

They are both men of their time and uniquely, they are both men of the same time. Both Fender and Gibson had to wait many years for players to step up to the standards and potentials that their insruments dictated - not so with Rob and Gordon.

To be honest, there is no difference between buying a Gordon Giltrap CD or a Rob Armstrong guitar - in both cases you will be associating yourself with a genius who will forever be at the top of their game.

I have just spent an enjoyable few hours with some fellow enthusiasts and musicians. None of us can make guitars like Robbie, or play like Gordon, but between us we have some pretty good ears! Also between us we own seven Armstrongs, and tonight we listened to two Gordon CD's. Our ages ranged from fouteen to fifty three, but we were all united in our appreciation of both the player and the played. We do indeed live in fortunate times - and as I previously said, I feel greatly honoured to count these wonderful people as friends.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Russ.

I really don't know what to say!

Such glowing words for Rob and I. If in some small way I MAY have influenced Rob to create some of the outstanding guitars he has made over the years then it has been a privilege to be a part of it all. But you know I have a sneaky feeling that Rob would have produced outstanding and original instruments anyway, but I do thank you for the praise!

All I have ever done and will continue to do is give praise where it is due and to encourage some of THE great guitar makers this small island has produced.I regard Roger Bucknall of Fylde in equal measure. Both these men are at the top of their game in their respective fields, and I am proud to call them my friends as indeed I do you and your lovely family also.Let us not forget Roger Williams and Steve Toon when it comes to great makers...AND nice people!.

Be Well and Happy Christmas.

G.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Actually Gordon, you hit on a very valid point there - yes, this is a very small island and 'per capita' we must surely produce the greatest guitar makers in the world! You are so right in naming those that you have, as yes, being a great luthier is not enough - life is more than wood and glue - being a great human being is pretty important too!

I would love to be in the position to take a 'snap shot' of the great hand made guitars available in this country at any one time. I guess around £50k would probably do it. You'd end up with about twenty-five (probably more) of the finest instruments money could buy with electrics from Gordon Smith through to acoustics by Robbie and Roger. Compare this to the States where the same amount of money would buy you half a dozen instruments or indeed, ONE buy a couple of certain 'manufacturers' who claim to be 'hand made'!!!

On a brighter note - Gordon may you forever be associated with the great guitar geniuses we have in this country and preserve that unique relationship that exists between player and maker. It is one of the things that make you both 'Great' British.

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 am

I'd really echo your thoughts, Roger. Considering the UK's size we're unusually blessed with great luthiers - builders of the most amazing acoustic guitars, electric guitars and basses. I count myself so honoured to have picked up a number of wonderful instruments made in UK and I'd agree that for the quality of the instruments I would have had to pay twice the price or more to get similar quality instruments US based builders.

To those mentioned here already I would add the names of Ian Waller and Pete Stevens (now Paul Herman) of Wal who have simply made some of the best basses ever built anywhere, ever (and whose rise was intimately intertwined with Gordon's history via the Johns - Gustafson and G Perry). I'd also put out a shout to the guys at Brook down in Devon who make lovely acoustics but there are soooooooooo many others who could be mentioned too!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”