Help with Chords Needed Please!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Help with Chords Needed Please!

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Guys!

I need a bit of help with the following chords please - C9Sus, D9Sus and
Em7add11. I think the first two are straight barre shapes on the third and fifth frets, but just don't know about Em7add11 and I can't find the fingering in any of my books or on the internet (eg chordfind.com). Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Roger :D

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi Roger!

Are either of these any use?

http://chordlist.brian-amberg.de/en

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip70.html

As I'm not a guitar player I'm just taking a punt here! Apologies if it's a load of rubbish!

Mike :lol:
The older I get, the better I used to be

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks Mike - nice to hear from you. I will investigate!!

Druid

Postby Druid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Roger

I'm new to the forum here so wouldn't wish to step on any toes with regard to posting links through to other forums, however there is a guitar forum that I regularly visit on which one of the members has posted a superb guide to chord theory with, so far as I can recall, sufficient information to allow the reader to calculate fingerings for many of the more esoteric chord variations that seem to crop up. I have to confess to being rubbish on theory myself and tend to reach for a chord chart when I need specific fingerings rather than drawing on knowledge of chord construction however if you're interested I can either PM you a link to the guide, or if Gordon has no objections I could post the link here for general access by forum members. Let me know which would be the preferred option.

All the best

Simon

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Simon,

welcome to the Forum. We're a friendly bunch and our "Guitar Anoraks" are amazingly knowledgeable and helpful answering questions ( most of which I don't understand !! ) :oops:

Please post the link here, if other users will find it useful thats fine by us.

regards
Sue
GG webmaster

Druid

Postby Druid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Sue

Thanks, pleased to be here :)

The posting I mentioned can be found as a sticky here: Wolfe's Beginners guide to chord theory . He has also put up a useful guide to scales that may be of interest to some folks. After years of playing I'm only just starting to make myself pay attention to music theory after having hitherto pretty much depended on a combination of ear and referencing chord diagrams and tabs to produce a, hopefully, pleasant noise so it was kind of useful to come across a basic guide that wasn't too academic. I hope the information proves useful to some of the other forumites here.

Simon

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Simon!

Thanks for the info - I'll have a look. I'm not that great on musical theory, so I generally use something like chordfind.com or a source such as "The Guitar Handbook".

As Sue says, this is a very friendly place and we don't tend to suffer from some of the problems that have virtually destroyed some forums. What's really great for someone like myself (ie of very limited ability) is that I can use the Anoraks forum and feel comfortable. I've really had some great advice over the years, particularly from Russ who was really helpful when I bought my Cort. Add to that the input of Bob Wilson (thanks again for the "Em's Tune" TAB Bob!), Mike Stranks, other forum contributors and of course Gordon and you can't go wrong!!

All the best,

Roger

Druid

Postby Druid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Roger.

Hope the info proves useful. I must confess I really struggle myself to find the discipline and inclination to wrap my head around theory although as I said I've kind of reached the stage where to move forward I think I need to absorb a bit more background. Problem is I much prefer trying to play and make music, albeit with a huge amount of trial and error, to reading about how it all works.. Ho hum :?

Yes definitely seems like a really good forum here, a big hats off to Gordon and all those who so readily share their talent and knowledge with the rest of us. Thank you :)

All the best

Simon

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”