A very interesting product...

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

A very interesting product...

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Just back from the PLASA (Professional Light and Sound Association) exhibition where, as usual, I saw lots of live-sound gear that I can't possibly afford (sob, sob)!

However, one of the good things I came across is a gizmo for attaching a microphone to a guitar for live sound (especially) or recording so that the mic always stays in the same place relative to the instrument. If you move, it moves!

Here's the link:

http://www.exploraudio.com/productdetail.php?pid=1&vid=5

It comes in a variety of colours and sizes and is precision-made from either aluminium or, even lighter, from a decent quality plastic. The clamps are well-faced with soft rubber so there's no danger of it falling off or damaging your precious acoustic guitar.

The even better news is that until the end of October Canford Audio are doing the whole range at 10% discount. Average price is about £50. If you want more info about prices etc. then drop me a PM.

Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 pm

A pretty extraordinary bit of kit, Mike (incidentally, an entirely appropriate name for a sound engineer! :D ). It would certainly be an option to drilling and otherwise attaching electric pickups but I can't help wondering how much torque a mic would effect on the instrument when attached. I have a Rode NT1000 which is probably too heavy to reasonably use at anything more than a couple of inches away from the top - I think it would twist the body away from me too much. I imagine there must be lightweight microphones available but I wouldn't have thought that weight was a particular factor/constraint in microphone design as most are used static. Maybe I'm wrong? Interesting, nonetheless.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

That's a very valid point Andrew.

I can image Gordonn having trouble trying to use this with his AKG C414 - he'd need a vice-like grip to counteract the torque!

At the show they were demoing it with an Audio-Technica small-diaphram condenser (sdc) mic and the guitar didn't seem difficult to handle - but what do I know, I'm only a soundman? :lol: All the photos of it in use are with an SDC. I admire your choice of mic, but I'd recommend anyone considering buying a mic to try a Rode NT-5 - about £110 if you shop around. They are superb mics and can be used in all sorts of situations.

I think this would be easier to handle than its SE Electronics equivalent. See:

http://www.seelectronics.com/GM10.html

However, none of the reviews I've read of that indicated that torque was a problem.

OK folks... anyone tried one of these kind of devices? Was the torque/turning effect a problem?
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”