Fingernails

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

peterl

Fingernails

Postby peterl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 pm

As we know, Gordon uses both nails and plectrum to play, so how do you look after your nails Gordon? Do you have false ones, or use nail strengthener.....?

I'd be interested to know how other fingerstyle guitarists look after their nails. I keep my nails about 1mm longer than the fingers, but they do break if I don't look after them. Anyone got any suggestions for nail strengthener that you've used? And how do you file them... what length.... what shape?

I've often done fingerstyle on my 12-string and they are shot to pieces afterwards! (See my youtube site for proof.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY16JDLVP0I ).

GORDON
Site Admin

Nails

Postby GORDON » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Peter.

I only use two nails as you know, my pinkie and my thumbnail. What I use is superglue and acrylic powder. What you do is coat the nail in glue, dip into the powder,brush off lightly sand with an emory board and repeat until you have built up several layers of dust and glue.

You see what happens is that the glue absorbes the dust with each application. The supeglue I use is the pot with the built in brush. Once you have built the nail up to where you like it, just smooth it down and buff up. You can buy these all in one nail care files and buffers from pretty much all chemists. The hard part is getting the acrylic powder. I got mine off the net.Try typing in ACRYLIC POWDER ALIDA and that should sort it. It's not cheap stuff, but a small pot will probably last me years! Good luck pal.

See you in Smarden.

Colin F

Fingernails

Postby Colin F » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi Gordon
Have you ever had a nail 'Break' on you during a gig or accidently flick a Plec. into space mid number?
Regards and best wishes
Colin
PS. Hiya Peter, how you doin'?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi Pal.

Yep, on one or two occassions I have dropped the pick, and recently during Lucifer's the pick has broken, but fortunately I have spares at hand and am able to stop and quickly pick up where I left off BUT it's a tough one when your in this trance like state to stop midway and start again. As yet no nail breakages!

Best.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”