Fylde no. 2

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Andrew Hawkey

Fylde no. 2

Postby Andrew Hawkey » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Gordon - I wonder if you remember a few years back, when you came and played for us (Cambria Arts) at the Talbot in Tregaron, in wildest Wales. A good time was had by all ... but more to the point, I handed over custody of my extremely scruffy Fylde 6-string - actually Fylde no. 2 - to you. I remember we did a deal involving some rare vinyl from your end, which suited me fine; and also that you told me you'd had it sorted out (the top was lifting and it probably needed re-fretting ... apart from being in a shamefully tatty state after years of abuse, and storage in damp Welsh cottages!). I often wondered whether you actually used it for recording work - if so, I'd love to invest in a copy of the relevant album. Is the guitar still with you?

I moved over here to deepest Brittany 18 months ago, and am coming to terms with a somewhat different music scene here. I'm missing being involved in running a venue - it was wonderful to meet so many of my musical heroes, yourself included, and introducing them to an appreciative audience. Like a lot of similar organizations, Cambria Arts has been disbanded - Ron (the sound man, and the charity's unpaid administrator) and his partner Hilary wanted their lives back, after over ten years of selfless toil ... Shame, The Talbot was a great venue.

Great website! Kind regards to you,
Andrew Hawkey

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Andrew.

Sure do remember you sir and that generous gift.

Yep, got the guitar sorted spent best part of £150 on her and had a bridge doctor fixed which is a device that keeps the table from lifting. It was sounding good, so good in fact that I gave it to Roger as a gift for his early Fylde collection. Needless to say he was chuffed to bits. So the irony is that it has returned to its maker!

Glad to hear things are good for you my friend.

Be Well and my warmest of Regards.

Gordon

Andrew Hawkey

Postby Andrew Hawkey » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 pm

That's wonderful news, Gordon ... there's something very fitting about its return to Roger. The prodigal guitar finally comes home ... In an odd kind of way, it goes some way toward assuaging my long-term guilt over the abuse that the poor thing suffered during my rather muddled stab at being some kind of 'sensitive singer-songwriter' back in the '70s (I actually played it at a gig I somehow landed at the Marquee, in London, opening for Racing Cars ('They Shoot Horses Don't They')!), and its subsequent decades of neglect in the attic when being a keyboard player in a blues band turned out to be the easier option! Hey-ho ... Anyway, do please give my regards to Roger when you next speak to him ... I don't think he & I ever actually met, oddly enough (he will remember his and my mutual chum Allen Mornington West) but the guitar was lovely, and served me faithfully; it's a huge tribute to his workmanship that it stood up to my ham-fisted treatment. I blush with shame to this day ... I seem to remember even putting a 'Nuclear Power? No Thanks' sticker on the front. What a twazzock!

My ex-Cambria Arts sidekick Ron Dukelow is moving from Wales to Yorkshire, and from September will be running weekly roots/folk/acoustic etc. gigs at a new venue in a lovely gas-lit Edwardian real-ale pub bang in the centre of Bradford... I'll remind him to bear you in mind for a booking.

Thanks again, all the best,
Andrew

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”