New GG guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Richard716

New GG guitar

Postby Richard716 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi Gordon,

You performed Dodo's Dream beautifully at the Alnwick Playhouse with a new hand made guitar. I was interested to now if it had variax electronics. I did not get on the stage to have a look but one of the pots looked like a variax one.

Just wanted your thoughts on the Variax 600 as I have heard mixed reviews with regard to the build quality, especially the tremolo bridge and it not keeping tune. I thought I might make a project and get a guitar built with the parts of a variax if the off the shelf guitar is an issue.

Cheers Richard

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Richard.

Indeed you are right sir, the guitar has Variax electronics built into a superb Steve Toon custom built guitar. The Variax guitars are fine by me, I don't use the tremelo arm anyway, what I wanted was a guitar with a more 'acoustic' feel to it with a wider neck, combine that with Steve's superb craftsmanship and design and what you see is what I played on the stage at Alnwick!

I used the guitar last night for my Cheltenham concert and without a doubt it has an outstanding sound, due to my use of 10 guage bronze strings and the bigger body plus unbelievable sustain all adding and surpassing the Variax original in sound and playability!

Hope this enlightens you and is of help my friend.

Be Well.

G.

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi Gordon,

I really appreciate the response. I just have to get the funding for such a project passed the guvnor!

I really think that its great that you take time out and respond to questions on the forum. Not only a great guitarist but a true Gent to boot.

Thanks again, Richard

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”