Metronome Tips?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Colin F

Metronome Tips?

Postby Colin F » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:16 pm

I've just bought a Metronome to help improve my timing and Rhythm. Trouble is I'm not that clear as how to use it properly, and the instruction sheet is a little vague to say the least. Does anyone have any tips and good practice routines I could use with it, plus, How do I set it correctly etc? and how do I play/practice the guitar with it? Many thanks.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm

What kind of metronome is it? Clockwork/mechanical or electronic?

I have a digital electronic one that I can set tempo, beat etc on. When using it to practice pieces I set it to a speed that is waaaaaaaaay below the performance pace of the piece and play through concentrating on tempo and keeping it even. Then I will *gradually* increase the tempo and play it through again. I will only increase the tempo when I am comfortable and secure at the tempo I am currently at. All that said I don't use it that often, but that is the basic principle I follow when I do use it. When practising with a metronome you should really try and keep going with the tempo even if you make a mistake. Don't stop and correct, as is the (frequent) temptation, because in any live performance situation you would not stop and replay your piece correcting your errors! Just carry on and try to recover as best you can. It's good practice!

Maybe someone else out there is more au fait with setting a mechanical metronome than I. All I know is you push the weight up or down the arm until you reach the tempo you want and set it going. There are probably more scientific things you can do with it than that, though...

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:52 pm

[quote="AndrewD"]What kind of metronome is it? Clockwork/mechanical or electronic?

It's a Mechanical one, looks a bit like a Pyramid, and you wind it up. I had a few good instructions from someone called Bob, who told me how to set it up etc. I just need to find a good a Practice routine to get the best out of it now. Maybe there is a book/DVD out or something, I'll have a dig around I think, see what I come up with.
Regards
Colin

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”