Suffering 6 strings!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Colin F

Suffering 6 strings!

Postby Colin F » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 pm

H Gordon
I've started to notice that after I have finished practising/playing for a while I've ended up with a pain in my lower back, although not agony it's still quite uncomfortable. It's obviously connected with the guitar and I've tried a number of sitting positions, as you play for several hours at a time how do you avoid this ? I've heard of suffering for art, but I always thought that was supposed to be about breaking hearts and 'lobbing' off the odd ear now and again, not this, which is, excuse the pun, starting to become a bit of a pain!
Regards and best wishes
Colin

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:12 am

I'm not a musician Colin, but I know about back pain as I suffer from neurogenic claudication. I'm not suggesting you have this for one moment (as you'd notice pain in your legs and possibly buttocks and groin, as well). However, I do know that prolonged periods in a seated position, especially a fixed position, are not good for the spine. You will find that stretching the spine by leaning forwards, will relieve the pressure on the vertebrae and provide some relief.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi Colin.

Over the last few years I have adopted the classical footstool posture, and believe me it works. I don't suffer anywhere near the way I did in the past. This posture was developed by the masters many years ago for a good reason. Try it my friend, it may not look very 'rock and roll' but it worked for John Williams and Julian Bream so in my book it's fine.

Be Well.

Gordon.

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi Gordon,,Hi Hobo
Thanks for the advice, not getting pain anywhere else Hobo, thankfully, just my lower back, so I can only blame my posture. I'll try all those things, especially the footstool Gordon. Thanks
Regards
Colin

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”