Fender VG Stratocaster

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Tue May 01, 2007 11:52 pm

Hey Hobo, great idea about the tuning. The way I pley, I'll never need to retune.....

Sorry Hobo, that was Colin F :oops:

Steve

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed May 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Those Variax and Roland VG guitars are astonishing.

I haven't had a chance to check out that Fender VG so I don't know how fully functional it is compared with the full VG8 system . However, I used to play in the worship band at church with a guy who played exclusively through a VG8. It WAS phenomenal (and so much better, hands down, than the Variax - which is still very good).

The nice thing about the VG8 box is that it's the full package - guitar, effects AND amp/speaker modelling. The quality of the modelling was very good too (and he just had the first generation model - I guess the modelling's even better now). He used to run it DI'd to the PA and monitor through a little keyboard amp.

It was great watching the faces of any musos in the congregation when, across a set and without changing guitar (which was a weird, space-age looking Steinberger anyway) he'd go from playing a Strat through a Fender Twin to a Ricky 12 string through a Vox AC30 to a Les Paul through a Boogie to a Tele through a Marshall stack and then to a Martin 12 string or a banjo with just a simple poke of a toe! The sound was incredibly authentic. They didn't suggest the sound of the set-ups being modelled, they WERE those sounds! The acoustic models were amazing too. There was a preset called "Boston12" which simply demanded you pick the opening bars of "More than a Feeling" and "Trampy12" simply WAS "Give a little bit".

It felt to me that the difference between the Variax and the VG8 system was like the the difference between a Boss CS2 compressor and a Drawmer Sturio Quality Compressor . There's nothing at all wrong with the cheaper item but when you listen to the more expensive one you can really hear where those extra pounds have gone!

Like I said, I don't know if the Fender VG is a fully spec'd VG system or just a guitar modeller but if it's the full monty (including amp, speaker and effect modelling) it will be an awesome piece of kit!

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Wed May 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Alesis X Guitar! 80 programs, full on-board editing, two single coils and a humbucker. Hunt around and you can still find one for a hundred quid new. Even if you spent another £100 on a set up and fret dress, this would still have to be the best value 'modeling' guitar ever!
Russ

Steve Smith

Postby Steve Smith » Sat May 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Oh the indecisiveness! :oops:

I bid on a used Variax 600 on eBay but didn't win it, so I was looking at a nice Cherry Sunburst Variax 700 but I didn't really want to spend that sort of money.

Then Trever posted about the Roland VG system and how it sounds better than a Variax so I searched eBay for one of those & found a used VG-88 Version 2 with GR3 hex pickup.

Well, Trevor waxed lyrical & the Roland blurb is very impressive - see http://www.roland.com/products/en/VG-88 ... index.html.
I've got enough guitars & haven't really got room for another and the seller is nearby so.... I'm due to pick it up tomorrow :)

This means I've come full circle. I've got a 1973 Fender Strat so if I fit the GR3 onto it, I'll have the equivalent & more of the VG Strat, though the model selesctions will be done with my feet rather then my hands.

Once I've got it set up, it record some samplws & post them (somewhere) so you can all have a listen.

Thanks all for your inputs; it's been an interesting (if ultimately costly to me) discussion!

Best wishes,
Steve

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 pm

It'll be here next Friday, apparently, I ordered mine from those very good folk at Regent Guitars (www.guitars.co.uk) not just because they were the cheapest but their customer service is 2nd to none!, I've also ordered the Spider 3 75 amp, I can't wait to give Heartsong a good workout through that, I can tell you! I've also just worked out (if I don't say so myself!) a cracking version of 'I feel Fine' in a Hank Marvin style so I'll be that giving that a whirl as well. However, now that you've been talked out of the VG,,and sorry to throw another spanner in....but have you heard about the new Ovation VXT ???, your not gonna believe this little beauty!!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=uYDtZt4EElE for a few video demo's

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”