"Guitar Man" by Will Hodgkinson

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

"Guitar Man" by Will Hodgkinson

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:06 pm

What a great book this is about learning to play the guitar - I can't put it down! The author is privileged indeed to have met and got some tips from some of the greats, in particular Bert Jansch and Davey Graham.

Bert states that his favourite player of all time is Jackson C. Frank. Is anyone familiar with his work?

Anyway, well worth a read! :D

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Jackson C Frank

Postby GORDON » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi Roger.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Jackson on a number of occassions in the late 60s and early 70s. He was a lovely man and a HUGE talent.I used to do a GG version of one of his greatest songs, Blues Run the Game.

If you put his name into GOOGLE it will give you quite a bit of info on him. I think it was Jackson's songs more than his playing(although he was a fine guitarist) that had a profound effect on Bert and John and Paul Simon who produced the man's one and only classic album.He is still sadly missed to this day, God rest his soul.That book sounds like a treasure my friend.

My Best to you Both.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks Gordon!

Jackson's story is certainly a very sad one and it's also unfortunate the Davey Graham appears to have fallen on hard times. Bert seems to be OK though and comes across as a "good bloke" (thanks again for introducing me to his music).

As you mention the late 60s/early 70s, I wonder how you found the lifestyle and people associated with the music industry during that period (and slightly later during the GG band)? Were you based in London during that time? I read recently that Eddie Jobson, of Roxy Music, UK and Yes (I think he replaced Rick Wakeman) fame, didn't enjoy the lifestyle and found himself subjected to "a self-congratulatory social club of successful musicians, moneyed hoorays and fashionistas occupying the trendy upper-end London social tier"(!!). Does this sound familiar?

Anyway, we're both really pleased that the Dorchester gig is being released on CD - what a marvellous weekend that was!

Best wishes to you and Hilary,

Roger(&Em)

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”