Yairi Guitars

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Lu_B

Yairi Guitars

Postby Lu_B » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 pm

I've just bought a 1998 K.Yairi electro-acoustic that the seller said was a Gordon Giltrap signature model. Serial No Serial no. GGY-1 53745 and originally cost £1400

I'm wondering if this is true.

Even if it isn't, its a great guitar solid cedar top with mahogany back, sides and neck. Not sure if the fingerboard is rosewood or ebony - maybe someone could confirm which it is.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Louise

GORDON
Site Admin

YAIRI GG guitar.

Postby GORDON » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:49 pm

There is a long story attached to the origins of this guitar and I won't bore you with it. It was indeed a Yairi GG guitar and a very nice instrument too, in fact I used it on a track of my REMEMBER THIS album.. Bouree by JS Bach.

It is indeed a fine guitar but if my memory serves me well wasn't quite as expensive as you were told, I think it was aroung a thousand to twelve hundred pounds, the woods used were very nice indeed and the inlay around the ebony bridge and soundhole I thought was most attractive.The fingerboard IS made of ebony by the way. I personally don't have my GG Yairi anymore BUT I guess if one came up for the right price I would probably go for it. Was this the one I saw on E-Bay?

Enjoy it, it's a nice guitar.

Best Regards.

G.

Lu_B

Re: YAIRI GG guitar.

Postby Lu_B » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:21 pm

GORDON wrote:There is a long story attached to the origins of this guitar and I won't bore you with it. It was indeed a Yairi GG guitar and a very nice instrument too, in fact I used it on a track of my REMEMBER THIS album.. Bouree by JS Bach.

It is indeed a fine guitar but if my memory serves me well wasn't quite as expensive as you were told, I think it was aroung a thousand to twelve hundred pounds, the woods used were very nice indeed and the inlay around the ebony bridge and soundhole I thought was most attractive.The fingerboard IS made of ebony by the way. I personally don't have my GG Yairi anymore BUT I guess if one came up for the right price I would probably go for it. Was this the one I saw on E-Bay?

Enjoy it, it's a nice guitar.

Best Regards.

G.

Thanks for the info Gordon.

Yes it was the one you saw on Ebay! I was looking for a smaller bodied acoustic and saw this one - I'd never heard of Yairi and couldn't find any info about this particular model. But it looked so pretty.

So I took a risk and bid on it anyway. Having owned it for two weeks now I must say I'm over the moon with it and can't put it down!

I took it to get it checked out by Trevor Buck at PMT and he said it didn't need adjusting at all. Tried to persuade me to leave it with him for 6 months to to doubly make sure :lol:

Thanks

Louise

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Mine has to be a 1998 K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap signature model.

Its sublime and got me back to loving the acoustic, it definitely keeps me away from those electric things!

A close second is my Matamp Minimat head & cab - after years of searching I'd found my amp holy grail.

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Doh.... put this in the wrong post!

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 pm

There is one of these for sale on ebay. Didn't think I'd ever see another one.

No its not mine incase you were wondering, my Yairi GG is a guitar I would never sell its very special.

They are exceptionally well crafted guitars with beautiful woods (the back on mine has a very subtle burled effect, that makes it look shimmery in certain lights) and I'd hold it against any of the top line brands

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”