Oh dear.....

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Oh dear.....

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 am

Sorry guys but a new 'axe' hs entered the Gannicott stable. I must stress this is not mine and indeed has nothing to do with me...I totally blame Ashley for visiting a guitar shop when they were having a clear out and then coming home with a twetny quid project, um...that turns out to be a fairly good Gibson Flying V copy. The downside of this is that I have caught him at least twice playing with his foot on a 'substitute' monitor in his bedroom whilst miming to Randy Rhodes solos. The upside is that I have just had to spend the last three nights playing harmony parts to him whilst he has worked most of his way through Andy Powell's reportoire including the very lovely 'Throw down the sword' which I have to say is probably my favourite dual electric piece, and one which spawned a plethora of copies ....including whole bands (Iron Maiden included).
Talking of which, have any of you noticed the 'typographical' conection between Gordon and Iron Maiden?
Cheers,
Russ

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Russ.

Good luck with the V project, which we hope will feature in these pages one of these days!

Did you know that Wishbone and I have a history together? They are old friends of mine, we both shared the same manager Miles Copeland in the early 70's a great band they were too! We also had the same producer Derek Lawrence. Derek produced my Testament of Time album which featured some stunning Del Newman string arrangements and the first recorded version of Catwalk Blues with STRING BASS AND DRUMS! Also on the album was a song called 'Starting all Over'which was pretty dreadful BUT was the template for what was later to become Heartsong.

Interesting about the Iron Maiden thing. Nico their drummer is an old friend also, he played on my 73 GILTRAP album, and almost joined the GG band at one point but we couldn't make the figures work.

Also the band released a single FEAR OF THE DARK quite a few years AFTER my released album of the same name AND used the same style lettering for the band. Is this a coincidence I wonder? Very flattering all the same.

Rock on our Ashley... :D

My love to you all.

G.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi Russ
Wishbone Ash eh!
One of my early influences on guitar and the first band I took my son to see. A nice Flying V project sounds great.
I agree, 'Throw Down the Sword' is one of their best, along with my other favourite 'Warrior' (although they had many great songs, check out the wahwah on The King will Come 8) ). My favourite album being Argus closely followed by Pilgrimage.
I wish him luck. It's great to see their music being played by younger people. Yngwie Malmesteen, Steve Vai or the great Satriani next?
Best wishes
Bob

Trevor Raggatt

Re: Oh dear.....

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:37 am

Russ Gannicott wrote:Talking of which, have any of you noticed the 'typographical' conection between Gordon and Iron Maiden?
Cheers,
Russ

BTW it's a font a version of which is downloadable from many free font sites on th' interweb. Just search for a font called "Eddie" (obviously!). But you're right, clearly it should be called "Gordon"!!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”