'Old' anorak question????

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

'Old' anorak question????

Postby Russ Gannicott » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Does anyone know about Strat necks? Would a 'C' profile neck (rosewood fingerboard) from a '61 Strat have a 'skunk stripe' or would it be solid maple? Also looking for some dirty white knobs and pick-up covers plus a grubby parchment scratch plate if anyone's got them spare.
Anyone wanna guess what the 'project' is?
Cheers
Russ
ps. A very happy new year to one and all!

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 am

Hi Russ
I think the '61 Strat was a D-shape neck which was fatter than the C-shape and it didn't have a skunk stripe. Rory Gallagher favoured this guitar because of the fatter neck.
Good luck with the project, it sounds like a guitarists dream, a great project for the new year :) . A Happy New Year to all
Best wishes
Bob

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks Bob, you've confirmed what I thought - no stripe. As far as I can tell though, the neck was a C profile.
Yes, you got it right, it's going to be a Rory 'tribute'. Fender of course do one, but theirs has to conform to certain requirements regarding health and safety and durability of finish. Mine will have real rust, bare wood and flaking paint! Oh, and a 'de-varnished' neck, not just a stained one.
I've got some nice Seymour Duncans that will need to be fitted with aged covers and today I found some old grubby knobs that will fit the bill - all I need now is to get stuck in with the paint scraper!! Wish me luck!
Cheers,
Russ

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Russ
A Rory tribute eh... Brilliant! You'll be 'Walking on Hot Coals' soon :)
If you check the headstock and it has a rubber stamp mark on it with something like 2MAR62B it will be a C profile as they changed in March '62 as far as I know. The serials for the '61 are 55000-72000. If not it should be a D profile which lends itself to the blues style of playing being a fatter neck. Good luck with the project. Keep us all informed on your progress. I'm sure however long it takes the outcome will be an awesome guitar.
Best wishes
Bob

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Here's the latest pic of the 'Rory' project.
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47 ... aphic1.jpg
Cheers,
Russ

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Russ,

I may be able to help with the knobs. The're from a Hondo Strat I had about 25 years ago. When I bought the guitar the knobs were already going yellow, so I changed them for a nice white set. The guitar didn't last long, but I'm sure I still have the knobs somewhere.

We're having PC problems at the moment (so I'm spending my Sunday afternoon in the local library!), but when I've found the knobs and our PC is back in action I'll get in touch.

All the best,

Roger

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Wow...thanks Roger that would be fantastic. The ones I have at the moment are rather mis-matched as two are 1-10 and the other 0-10.
Cheers,
Russ

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Russ!

Our PC is now fixed (as is our central heating - pity about the car!).

If you want to post some contact details or send a private message I'ii try to get the knobs sent to you over the weekend.

All the best,

Roger

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Roger, thank you SO much for the 'Strat' knobs. Wow, are they discoloured! Funny how the volume one is almost still white while the two tones are nearly orange!
Thanks again it is really kind of you to send them and as soon as the Rory tribute is finished I'll post some pictures of it on here.
All the best,
Russ
ps. All I need now is one Sperzal machine head to go with the five Goto's and the guitar will be finished. Oh yes.....I did have a major problem tracking down an authentic 'spaghetti' headstock logo. All the Ebayers selling them get shut down as soon as they list them!

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:50 am

Russ,

Glad to be of help!

All the best,

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”