Steel Strings on a Classical Guitar?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Steel Strings on a Classical Guitar?

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 pm

This may seem like a strange one, but perhaps not so strange bearing in mind Gordon's car boot guitar.

I am currently using two guitars, a Cort X2 electric and a Hondo classical with nylon strings. The Hondo is great for picking up and playing when I have a few spare minutes, but I'd also like the option of having a steel-strung acoustic. Now I could go out and buy one, but the other option I was thinking about was putting steel strings on one of the other nylon strung guitars we have, which are an old Woolworths Kay (not very nice) and a Rosetti Serenader Classic (much nicer neck etc). The main concern I have is that the neck of the guitars might be damaged by using steel strings (due to the different tension?).

So, the questions are:

1. Is this a sensible option?

2. Would the guitar need to be modified?

3. Which type of strings would be the best option?

Thanks and a happy New Year to everyone,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi Roger, you mad fool you...grin.. :D

Yes, you could put steel string on the classical BUT unless you put really light guage strings on,it will undoubtedly bend the neck and possibly lift the bridge.

My Appalachian Dreaming Car Boot guitar is a bit of a freak, BUT the neck has pulled forward, but because I capo to the 5th fret it doesn't effect the action to that degree.

I remember years ago putting steel strings on a rather nice solid top classical, and the sound was ENORMOUS.

Good Luck Sir.

Say hi to our Em and hope she's on the mend.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Gordon,

Talk about a quick response!!

Unfortunately Em is now in bed with the 'flu virus which seems to affecting so many people in Portsmouth, but I'm sure she'll be fine for your gigs in 2008!

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi Roger
I'm doing exactly the same thing at the moment :) (thanks to Gordon), but I'm making a hybrid for Appalachian Dreaming.
I remember changing an old nylon many moons ago and putting Light 9 electric steels on as I was told that the wound G-string would put too much pressure on the neck. It worked fine and was a nice guitar with a distinct sound. The neck never warped and the action remained as good as the first set up I did. I did fit a trapeze bridge to take pressure away from the thru-bridge. The only problem I did have was that the strings cut into the frets quite fast and I had to refret. I don't know if it was because it was a cheap guitar or if the alloy used for the frets is different for nylon strings, however, once refretted with fretwire I used for electrics it lasted a good while before I exchanged it, with a mandolin, to buy a 12-string.
I agree with you about Toni using thinner picks as I still use very thin picks as this enables much faster strumming and picking. You too should try a thin Sharkfin plectrum, as if you use the tip of the pick and rest it on the 21-22nd fret you can pick up an amazing speed (only electric, unfortunately, as there is no soundhole). It's a trick but can be useful if you need speed using up and down strokes for lead guitar.
Good luck with the guitar mod.
I hope Em feels better soon
Happy New Year
Best wishes
Bob

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”