First electric...

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

TTToni

First electric...

Postby TTToni » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:45 pm

My parents surprised me with my first electric guitar this christmas, a Tanglewood FST32K (for some reason its listed as a FST32R on the tanglewood website, even though in the picture you can make out the 'k'...) and a tiny Hiwatt 8 watt Spitfire amp.
I did mention that the amp doesn't go up to 11.

It was a wasted comment.

I'm so chuffed that my dad didn't go for one of those rather nasty Squire Strat packs. One of my friends has one and it makes me cringe. Apparently my mum told my dad to get the Squire strat because my friend has it, but the guitar shop staff must've talked him out of it (either that or he just saw the list of bands on the HiWatt packaging. I might just have to pop down to the shop and say thank you, haha.

Anyway, for what it actually is, my new gear is actually pretty good. Ideal for anyone new to electric, I'm still trying to get the hang of holding a pick, I don't like it very much they're too awkward! Don't even get me started on standing up...I'm certainly not complaining about the guitar (it's also in a rather lovely see through red finish). The sound is a lot cleaner compared to the squire strat and fender 10 watt amp package. Action is fairly decent, I'd like it a bit lower (I'm not sure if they set it up at the store though, the strings look new aswell but they chucked in a new set thankfully) but I think I'll manage.

I think I'm going to finish learning Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley, then I might learn the solo for Hotel California. Always wanted to play it, but could never be bothered to learn that part on my acoustic.

I think I might just have to lose those headphones that came included...

Toni.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:30 am

An electric guitar....! Well. that's done it - the first step down to the slippery slopes of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll into the depths of wasted oblivion. I hope you realise your life will never again be the same - all those fast cars, yachts, private jets and super models falling at your feet - should have stuck to an acoustic, I reckon.
Well, have great fun with your new guitar and whilst your feet are still firmly planted on the ground, please keep us posted on your progress with this 'tool of Satan'
New fangled technology....wouldn't catch me with it! And don't even get me started on what will happen to you now you'vs started using a PICK!
Good luck (you're gonna need it)
Russ

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi Toni
What a great Christmas present! But remember you don't HAVE to use a pick on electric :wink: Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Mike Oldfield and many others do extremely good music without the need and Gordon uses one for acoustic and electric. Maybe you could try his hybrid pick and little finger technique :wink: . If you've always played acoustic you're in for a great time when you start using effects. If you get the chance try a Sharkfin thin plectrum, I've used them for years and they allow you to palm the plectrum easily in the third finger whilst fingerpicking (ideal for Hotel California).
It sounds like you will be playing more, so that's bound to improve your playing in itself. As a player of the 'tool of Satan' :roll: let me say have fun with your present and steer clear of too many power chords.
A Happy New Year to all members of the forum
Best wishes to all for the new year
Bob

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 pm

What a lovely thing this FORUM is! I just want to say thanks to all of you who contribute so willingly on all subjects, but it's especially nice when it's in the form of encouragement to a new player, I'm really touched by that.

My first electric, apart from my Colletti with add on pickup and trem, was a cherry red Hofner Verithin. In all honesty it was a poor man's 335, but a Gibson was certainly out of the question when my Dad signed the HP form for me to pay for the Hofner over two or so years . It was the princely sum of 65 guineas,and bought from Len Stiles guitar shop in Lewisham, the shop is still there and now run by the son of Albert Lee, who incidentally bought his first guitar from there, I also believe that Francis Rossi of Quo was an early customer!

Anyway I digress. I remember bringing it home, proping it up in an armchair and just sitting there gazing at it lovingly! I truly thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, it even had a Bigsby tremelo arm just like the one on Bert Weedons guitar...Bliss.Of course within two years I had part exchanged it for an acoustic, it was the Hagstrom 45 that I used on my first album, or was it that 12 string...memory fades here!

Anyway, I'm sure this first electric of yours will bring much joy, and will I'm sure lead on to something even more dream making.

Be Well.

Gordon.

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Toni,

When I started trying to play the guitar again I found it quite awkward to use a pick. I just took things gradually until I could use one for single strings and then chords (downstrokes). Problems returned when I tried to play rapid downstroke/upstroke - the pick usually ended up flying around the room! After getting some advice from this forum, I got hold of some Jim Dunlop .38mm picks. Problem solved!! They are very thin, flexible and easy to grip, but may wear quite rapidly depending on your strings and playing. What I found was that once I got used to a thin pick I could use a thicker one if I wanted to.

Last point. Remember that some guitarists use alternatives to standard picks - coins and chopped up credit cards are some I've heard of!

Gordon,

Some great memories - more of the same please! In particular, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the Yamaha SG2000. Great sound, alot of people used them and then they disappeared without trace!

Best and a happy New Year to all,

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”