Wyres Strings

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Martie

Wyres Strings

Postby Martie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 pm

First time here so hi!

Have been on the quest for some acoustic guitar strings lately and it just so happens that two of the contenders happen to have strong links to Gordon Giltrap, which is a name that, in all honesty I haven't heard for many years until my string search began (I recall watching Mr Giltrap put on a fantastic one man show at the Witchwood in Ashton sometime in the 1980s after a mate, who had been a fan for years, and myself had been listening quite a lot to his 'guitarist' album).

Anyways, the strings I had found myself looking at were:

Newtone Heritage - their website has a GG endorsement when describing these.

Wyres 80/20 acoustic guitar strings 11-52

The reason I'm here is that I've ruled the Newtones out as I don't like the idea of the strings being too slack (although I might be wrong there?) although I am still considering their Masterclass 80 /20s.

And just for the purpose of clarity, I want to try 80/20s as I have an OM shaped guitar with cedar top and rosewood back and sides which I feel would benefit from brighter strings. I also have the onset of arthritis in my fretting hand following a minor accident years ago, hence the lower gauge strings and a preference for slightly lower tension strings.

I recently tried Elixir 12-56, which I thought were great and punchy, but a little too difficult for me to play. I'm currently using Thomastik Infeld Spectrum Bronze, which are fantastic strings but are, to me at least, a little too lifeless, woody and 'transparent' - the latter two not necessarily being bad qualities but I want to be able to hear a little more from the string itself if that makes sense?!

So I'm really curious about the Wyres as, ultimately, I would prefer a good sounding coated strings (I have very acidic hands) and I've heard good things about these. It was during my search that I noticed the Gordon Giltrap signature series and was particularly drawn to the 0.014 gauge of the 2nd string, a minor, yet significant improvement with hands like mine.

The only thing stopping me from ordering a set at the moment is that I can't tell what material they are, phosphor or 80/20 bronze? The thing is, I've managed to convince myself 80/20 would be better on my particular guitar but there's something confusing me having read an old Bert Jansch interview in which he said he doesn't like bright strings which was why he used 80/20 bronze. What's confused me is that I always thought 80/20 was the brighter of the two, and if so why did he not just use phosphor bronze?! What am I missing here?

So, I guess I'm looking at trying either Wyres 80/20 acoustic strings (with the 0.015 2nd string) or the GG signature series (with that much preferred 0.014!), depending on what they are made of AND which material I decide is best suited to my needs!

And does anyone know what the coating is like on the Wyres? I know they don't coat the plain strings (because Nick from Wyres told me), which is a shame, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BRC

Re: Wyres Strings

Postby BRC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum, though others will join to that probably.

I can't answer the issue you specifically raise though do share the same problem of arthritis to my 'fretting hand' - left in my case. Like you holding strings has gradually become more difficult as the years have gone by when, as a 16 year old, I dislocated the elbow and completely snapped the ulna, together with torn bicep and tricep muscles. That was 52 years plus ago and I have had some relatively minor injuries to the same arm in those intervening year, including breaking a bone in the hand. Enough of the painful thoughts.

I have been using Elixir phosphor bronze strings of various gauges on my various guitars for the past 4 or so years and would highly recommend the 11- 52's (custom light) as being suitable. As I am sure you are well aware, they are not cheap though in terms of their durability and longevity, especially in terms of tonality, they far outlast any other strings I have tried over the years. I like Martin and D'Addario strings but am convinced the Elixirs are best value for money overall. I use those strings on my Yamaha APX700 and 12 - 53's on my Martin. When the hand/arm is less co-operative I use the Yamaha which makes playing that bit easier.

How long strings last is determined by playing duration, style of playing and other matters such as cleaning the strings (I use Kyser Dr Stringfellow for cleaning as well as Fast Fret when away from home) and the acidity in you fingers, as you have mentioned.

I am not saying 'go and buy the Elixir Custom Lights', but, as you have expressed a positive view of the 12 - 56's (should that be 53), have no reason to think you won't be similarly pleased with them.

Let us all know how you get on, whatever you choose.

Kind regards
Brad

Martie

Postby Martie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Many thanks for the reply Brad, appreciated :)

I guess a definite, and readily available, option would be the Elixir 11-52 and purchasing one of their plain 14s to replace the 15. And they would actually be cheaper than the ones I'm using!

Ultimately, my ideal string would have all of the following:
- all six strings coated but retaining their sound
- minimal string squeak (another reason for leaning towards coated)
- slightly less tension, but not so much thay they are slack
- 80/20 or 80/15 bronze - although not quite decided as still pondering the Bert Jansch quote!
- not prone to breaking easily
- and a round core might be nice, but I may be asking too much there as I've never seen a coated string with a round core (I use Newtone Nickel Classics custom gauge 10,12,16,26,36,46 on my electric and do find that round core uncoated strings do last almost as long as coated strings, although I have no idea why?)

Having said the above, Newtone Masterclass are round core and apparently they have slightly less tension so I could try them. I'm also still intrigued about their Heritage sets as they are bound to have a balanced feel, just concerned about them being too slack and lacking bass?

Not that I'm fussy or anything :wink:

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Martie,

You are most welcome.

I couldn't help thinking of what I would consider my 'ultimate ideal strings' would be. So, here goes (tongue most definitely in cheek):
1. Very easy to hold down at all places on the playable frets (up to 14?), without buzzing or other extraneous sounds.
2. Last for at least 10 years without any noticeable deterioration of tone or physical appearance.
3. Must be able to play the notes I intend rather than the ones that, sometimes, just happen to ring out.
4. Must be able to play complex chords and run downs (and run-ups, or am I confusing that with the cricket) without any effort from me.
5. Allow me to relax and have the odd imbibe from time to time. By odd I mean ... oh, never mind.

Having reviewed that list maybe I should just sit back and listen to some guitar playing by that up and coming youngster ... er, what's his name? George Chinstrap ... or something like that!

Seriously, good luck with your quest, Martie.

Kind regards
Brad

Martie

Postby Martie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Cheers Brad! If only they made such things! :P I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find my perfect strings... maybe the hunt's better than the kill?! :wink:

Martie

Postby Martie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 am

Well, the following article confirmed my allegiance to round cores...

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/blogs/news ... rings-pt-1

...and so I've just ordered the following custom set from Newtone:

Gauges: 11,14,22,32,42,52

22 nickel wound on round core
32,42,52 80/20 bronze on round core

...it really doesn't get any more anoraky than that! :lol:

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello chaps for what it's worth.I no longer endorse WYRES,mainly because I was experiencing string breakage on the first and second strings.

Newtone strings are fantastic and it is a little known fact that I had a huge input on their original design.They are great strings BUT the low tension ones are exactly what they say they are...low tension,and therefore would by their very construction be of a softer tension.

I have used and continue to to use Martin SP phosphor bronze..11- 52 sets.They have NEVER let me down and are a great sounding consistently well made string.

There you go.

Be well.

G.

Martie

Postby Martie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:56 am

Many thanks for the insights Gordon, greatly appreciated. I'm still waiting for my custom sets, which I'm sure will be great (I've not ordered from the Heritage range) but I have another guitar that I will definitely try the SPs on.

Having said the above I put some Thomastik Infeld Spectrums on a few weeks ago which I didn't like at first bit a month later I'm really reluctant to take them off! :?

Martie

Postby Martie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Gordon,

sorry, can I just ask,when you recommended Martin SP were you referring to the 'acoustic', 'flexible core', or 'lifespan' variations.

Many thanks,

Martie

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”