String changing procedure

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

vigman

String changing procedure

Postby vigman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Well it does say this is the place for guitar anoraks :D

When any of you change a full set of strings (and particularly interested in what Gordon does), do you a.) change one at a time, thus keeping the same tension on the neck, or b) take the old set off and then replace with the new one?

I was told that using technique b) over time led to unnecessary stressing and unstressing of the neck!?

TIA

Vigman (Jon)
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 am

Same here, Jon. I used to change them all in one go, taking the opportunity to give the soundboard a good clean whilst they were off and to retrieve all the posted picks and various dusty detritis from inside. However, someone more knowledgable than I gave me the same advice you received, and I now change one string at a time. Furthermore, I'll change them in the sequence 6,1,5,2,4,3 so as to keep neck-tension as even as possible. Also found that upping practice-time to two hours/day makes for a 99% reduction in dropped-picks. :)
Around the bend, my huckleberry friend.

peterl

Postby peterl » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:49 am

I change the whole set at once, and have never had any issues with neck stress. Even on my 34 yr-old 12-string I've changed the whole set at once. It enables an easier clean-up on the neck and body.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:39 am

I remove the entire set, pop them back into the original packets, sign them and give them away at concerts in return for a small donation to a school charity. For me this is recycling at it's best!

Never had any problems with the necks, except when I bend them at the end of Heartsong and Lucifer's Cage, when every so often I tweak the truss rod back to it's normal position.

All the above works for me BUT do what works for you chaps...and girls.. :D

Warm Regards.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”