An electro-acoustic for £100?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

peterl

Postby peterl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:09 pm

I've now got a replacement delivered very efficiently and quickly. I've had a chance to open it up and play it whilst my daughter is away.

I am amazed by the quality of the guitar. It has a good tone, decent pre-amp and tuners. Body, fretboard and headstock all of decent quality. The strings aren't fantastic though so I'll put a decent Martin set on. I also tried the 15W amp... that is also good, clean, simple and effective.

The kit comes with a gig bag, strap, picks, etc. It is just about the greatest value guitar pack I've ever seen for £99! I recommend it and www.gear4music.com were very efficient with delivery as it came 2 days after I ordered it. They picked up the defective pack quickly and sent another quickly.

My daughter will be chuffed... and who knows, she might take up guitar properly, become a musician for a living and become a star, and I can retire early! :wink:

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info Peter - it's always good to get feedback about the many "budget" guitars out there these days! Russ has always posted his thoughts and let's not forget the excellent Farida Tele!

Let us know how the guitar sounds when you've fitted some decent strings.

All the best,

Roger

PS My interest is that I'm thinking of buying an electroacoustic shortly. While have some experience with cheaper electrics (I have a Cort X2) and would feel confident about buying another, I don't know a great deal about acoustics - all advice appreciated!!

peterl

Postby peterl » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:50 pm

to be honest Roger, it sounds great with the strings it came with... it's just that some decent strings like Martins will make it sound even better. If you want a budget guitar, go for it. Comes with a 15W amp for mucking about on. A bargain in my opinion.

Colin F

Postby Colin F » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Peter,,to be honest..(I know it's a Christmas gift etc so you've been trying to get one on the sneak I suppose)..but you can't beat going down to your local Guitar store and let her try some out first, what may suit one person may not suit another and she could pick one up that 'Just' feels right for her and fall in love with it straight away. And she could just as easily pick one up she hates!..

peterl

Postby peterl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Colin F wrote:Peter,,to be honest..(I know it's a Christmas gift etc so you've been trying to get one on the sneak I suppose)..but you can't beat going down to your local Guitar store and let her try some out first, what may suit one person may not suit another and she could pick one up that 'Just' feels right for her and fall in love with it straight away. And she could just as easily pick one up she hates!..

good point, but she's been borrowing mine; the new guitar is not dissimilar to mine so I think she'll be alright and over the moon! She actually said to me "...can I have a cheap guitar for Xmas dad...? So her expectations are low but the surprise will be great I think. :D

peterl

Postby peterl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Now the dust has settled, I can report that this guitar pack is a great bargain for the beginner and even intermediate! It has a good tone, setup, finish, tuners and everything is good. The amp is basic but effective. It was a great buy... it had the desired effect and my daughter can't stop playing it. She plays every day, strums really well and already knows and can play all the main chords. She has rhythm and I think she will get better than me very soon, earn millions and keep me in the style to which I'd like to become accustomed!

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Peter,

Thanks alot for the info - very useful and interesting!

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”