An electro-acoustic for £100?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

peterl

An electro-acoustic for £100?

Postby peterl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 am

My daughter (16yrs old) has taken an interest in guitar and keeps borrowing mine. Xmas is coming and she says she wants her own. So what should I buy her? I guess Russ will say something like "... you can get a fantastic guitar on ebay for £100, blah blah..." and you're right Russ. But she is a snob and says she wants a new one. So what do you recommend for a new electro-acoustic for £100 or so?

She is teaching herself how to play guitar, already plays the drums (very well for 2 years) and plays piano. So I want to encourage her as she is quite musically talented.

thanks

vigman

Postby vigman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:26 pm

Well you get what you pay for :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALBA-HALF-SEMI-AC ... dZViewItem

Seriously, there is great value in the second hand/used market and I helped a lad buy a fantastic condition Les Paul copy (Epifone) in flight case yesterday for just under the 100!!! (Wish I'd seen it first :cry: )

Unlike those of us in the 50s/60s who bought wooden boxes with six cheese wires to learn on, modern yoof seem to buy professional kit for a fortune, then get fed up with it and sell it for a song. Just need to be there when it happens.

Regards
Vigman (Jon)
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:28 am

Well, the answer is of course really easy IF she is coming out shopping for the guitar with you, but harder if it's goung to be a surprise! Best for my money would be anything made by Ashton, an Australian company, made in China. Fantastic guitars for silly money. Also, steer her towards something WITHOUT a built in pre-amp if possible. Otherwise, for a hundred quid you are buying a fifty quid guitar! My Ashton twelve string cost £80 (with a built in tuner) and sounds fantastic via the £20 Musicman pick-up I fitted.
Good luck,
Russ

peterl

Postby peterl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:38 pm

thanks Russ. It's a surprise for her. I've never heard of Ashton guitars... I sometimes think I'm a naive guitar virgin. :shock:

I think she will want an electro-acoustic to plug into her PC so she can head-bang (well sort of...). :lol:

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:05 pm

Peter,

Have a look at the Ashton Joey, which is a solid top 3/4 electroacoustic. I saw one a few weeks ago in Nevada Music (Portsmouth) for just over £100. The following link will give you more details:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ashtonjoey ... rrency=USD

Good luck!

Roger

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Or there again..........
http://www.gear4music.com/Acoustic_Guit ... efv_2.html
Could be worth a punt. For that money you can't really lose!
Russ

peterl

Postby peterl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 am

thanks guys

not sure about the pink acoustic though :P

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:14 am

Russ,

Of interest to me is that they do a "leftie" version (not in pink!). Any idea who makes these guitars for gear4music?

Thanks,

Roger

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Hi Roger - no idea who makes them I'm afraid but it's gonna be Chinese isn't it! Not that that's a bad thing of course. We just bought a fretless acoustic bass, new off ebay for less than fifty quid and it's great!
Cheers,
Russ
ps I've just picked up a Chinese made 'Hodson Guitars' Thinline Tele copy which is rather wonderful.
Here's the link;
http://www.myspace.com/hodsonguitars
They have been commisioned by a mate of mine who dictated a really spec and the Chinese (Aria Legend factory) certainly came up trumps.

peterl

Postby peterl » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm

In issue 11 Aug/Sep 2006 Acoustic Mag, there was a review of the Gear4Music's acoustic starter pack. It got incredibly good reviews.

http://www.acousticmagazine.com/index.p ... &Itemid=52

I'm going for it. Many thanks to Russ

fingerlock

Postby fingerlock » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm

I bought a Brunswick electro-acoustic for £140 a year ago and for the money it has been fantastic, although the action was lowered by a certain famous guitarist? Im sure if you looked around you could get a deal, I also bought a lag acoustic in a sale for £100 and i have recently used an Artec pickup(£20 and easy to fit) which for the money is very good.

peterl

Postby peterl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:22 am

I bought the gear4music pack but thanks anyway

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Peter,

It would be good if you could let us know your thoughts about the package when appropriate (after Xmas I guess!).

Cheers,

Roger

peterl

Postby peterl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:51 pm

will do Roger... and after Xmas! I've got it hidden in the cupboard and am secretly dying to try it out, but she is always around!

peterl

Postby peterl » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:58 pm

i unpacked it all and found a large blemish under the varnish on the front of the guitar body. i am really disappointed and have asked for a replacement. I'll let you know how i get on. :cry:

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”