A newbie is born.....

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

vigman

A newbie is born.....

Postby vigman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi

Apologies if this has been answered in the past, but I've only just found the forum.

I used to play in the late 60s/early 70s folk circuit and that is where I first met and heard Gordon play, as I was a resident band member and artist booker for the Isle of Wight Folk Club.

My problem is, after all these years I still can't get the stringing right (ie to sound like Gordon's) on either of my favourite guitars.

The first is a 1972 Yamaha FG140 six string. I don't know how light I can go without doing any damage to the neck. I wanted to go 'extra' light, but the guy who sets up my guitars advised against this after so many years of standard guage strings.

The other is a Norman B20 which is strung by the Canadian factory (www.normanguitars.com) as 6 String Acoustics :
A6 LT 'Phosphor Bronze' Light
(.012,.016,.024,.032,.042,.053)

but these are still strumming strings not picking strings and I can't bend them or do pull-offs.

I never know what to get for Gordon style picking.....any advice welcomed, please!?

TIA
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”