Vintage launches Gordon Giltrap D-Day Mandolin

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Sue
Site Admin

Vintage launches Gordon Giltrap D-Day Mandolin

Postby Sue » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 am

Based on a 1940’s mandolin originally owned by a US Serviceman who fought at and survived the Omaha beach landings The Gordon Giltrap Vintage ‘D-Day Mandolin’ (VPM44 £249 UK rrp) has been faithfully reproduced by Vintage® as a poignant reminder of the sacrifices made over 70 years ago by those remarkable servicemen and women, and the importance of musical instruments in raising morale during wartime conflict.

Featuring a white ash body, with Nyatoh neck and Indonesian Rosewood fingerboard, including aged hardware as a ‘nod’ to the original, and displaying replicas of some of the original hard-carved inscriptions made by the owner and his fellow soldiers, the D-Day Mandolin is tonally responsive and very easy to play. Supplied with a zero gravity carry case, the D-Day Mandolin was the brainchild of Gordon Giltrap, whom along with his wife Hilary was able to uncover the amazing story behind this remarkable instrument and its origins.

Each D-Day Mandolin includes a full colour souvenir booklet and certificate of authenticity documenting the full story behind it and the Torcross Tank Memorial Fund - http://www.exercisetigermemorial.co.uk.

See pictures here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/vint ... y-mandolin

Sue
GG webmaster

Roger

Re: Vintage launches Gordon Giltrap D-Day Mandolin

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:22 am

I was disappointed that I couldn't get to the annual service at the D-Day Memorial in Southsea on Monday. In fact I was beginning to feel that the anniversary of such a significant event had been a tad overlooked this year. Bearing that in mind, and also what Gordon and Hilary have been through recently, this is such significant and marvellous news - a new GG Vintage instrument to mark such an important event in World history.

Thanks for posting Sue.

Roger USA

Re: Vintage launches Gordon Giltrap D-Day Mandolin

Postby Roger USA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:58 pm

I have just visited the site and from the photos they seem to have done a great job creating an authentic aged appearance within an attractive and playable instrument at a good price.

Operation Tiger was a tragic event leading up to one of the most important days in world history. The debt we owe that generation is beyond measure.

Roger (USA)

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”