Reference points.

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Reference points.

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:26 am

Oooh, here's one to throw the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons - after careful consideration I have concluded that all guitars stem from two origins. Firstly, acoustic guitars. It has to be the parlour guitar - is there a better shape to produce the kind of sound you want hear within natural 'earshot'? I guess that's about ten feet or so.....about he size of a Parlour(?). To me, everything else seems to be an attempt at compensation. Speaking as a studio engineer, 'parlours' are the only guitars that don't need remedial eq treatment and in a live environment they define the player rather than the guitar. I have heard people say ' that's a great player' when listening to a parlour, and 'that's a great guitar' when hearing a dreadnought or a jumbo. I know which Id prefer t be said about me!
Electrics....oooh here we go. In recent years I have been falling more and more in love with Telecasters. Actually, I should say Telecaster shaped guitars. There is something fundementaly right about a Tele...whoever makes it. It is the only guitar that defines it's sound by it's construction and pick-up configuration. It doesn't matter if it's a £70 Chinese copy or a ten grand original '63 you can still tell it's a Tele. I can't tell the difference between a vintage LP Gold Top, Ibenez Jem, Kramer, Jackson....etc, etc, with them it's the pick-ups that define the sound, not the shape or construction, it could be anything.
So....there are my reasons for picking the two most iconic , sound defining guitars in the known universe......now, tell me why I'm wrong.....?

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”