USB interfaces and recording

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

USB interfaces and recording

Postby AndrewD » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:30 am

Until recently when recording audio (i.e. my guitar playing) I used a Creative Labs E-MU 0404. This gave me two channels, 48V phantom power for my Rode mic and a USB 2 output that I could plug into the laptop and record with using Cubase SE or Audacity. It worked well as a setup (for me anyway) but with "progress" the drivers for the E-MU don't work with either Windows 8 or recent Mac OS (I have gone to a Mac now, disliked Windows 8 on the laptop so much).

I have sold the E-MU on eBay (and got a surprisingly tidy sum for it too considering it is legacy technology) but it leaves me with a gap to fill. I was thinking of looking at the Yamaha AG6 mixer when it gets launched next month but wondered if anyone had their own pet kit for recording which might be due consideration? It is for home use, needs phantom power and USB or Thunderbolt output.

(I am also considering a new amp as I don't play electric any more (Dodo excepted) and my Marshall VS30R isn't so good for acoustic guitar amplification, but that's another story. I've been following the Blackstar thread with interest).

AndrewD

Re: USB interfaces and recording

Postby AndrewD » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Well, after some more research I have settled on a Behringer Xenyx Q1202USB mixer that will power my condenser mic and gives me more channels than I really need. At £74 and only a few quid more than the smaller Behringer models it seemed silly not to. It has just arrived and I'm looking forward to recording myself with it to put it through its paces.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”