Telecasters

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

Re: Telecasters

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Nice!!! So not off thread after all!! 8)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 pm

You are a card Trev....

Be well all.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Trevor,

Don't know if you're a Roxy/Ferry fan, but Chris Spedding's playing on the Ferry album "In Your Mind" is superb and worth checking out. On the back of that album he made his solo LP "Hurt" (featuring a pre-Pretenders Chrissie Hynde!) - again great playing, but not so sure about some of the material!

When I saw him with Ferry I was just amazed that he could get clean sounds, sustain/distortion and feedback, all controlled by the one volume knob on his guitar - no fiddling with his tiny amp and no pedals either. Some nice slide playing too. All of this was in total contrast to most other players at the time, who had plenty of effects and/or huge stacks behind them on stage. He did an interview with "Beat Instrumental" (which may still be on his website) about how he got his sound, playing with distortion etc etc.

Glad there's another CS fan on the forum!

Roger

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 am

Roger

I've been trying in the last year or two to use electrics the "old way" that you describe - using minimal effects and the guitar controls. It's through necessity, as I mainly play sax in that particular band, and with two guitars to pick up at short notice in different tunings as well life gets complicated.

It does seem to depend on the setup - I use a Strat or Tele through a Marshall VM combo, which is designed to respond to cutting the guitar volume by losing the distortion rather than the tone. Gives a good feeling of control, and a very pure sound. But the Tele seems to have hotter pickups, so now I'm using it as the main machine everything needs to be adjusted to get the same control. So the next project is to get a set of vintage-style PUs for the Telecaster to match the Tokai VIIs, which they ought to have anyway - what's the point of a Tele that sounds like a Gibson?

Other players who could be seen working the guitar controls (though not primarily Telecaster players) were Rory Gallagher and Peter Green ... plus one James Marshall Hendricks, of course. Old school - good stuff.

By the way, does anyone else find it necessary to put a capacitor on the volume pot of Strats and Teles to prevent treble cut at low levels?
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:02 am

Jon G wrote:Roger

I've been trying in the last year or two to use electrics the "old way" that you describe - using minimal effects and the guitar controls. It's through necessity, as I mainly play sax in that particular band, and with two guitars to pick up at short notice in different tunings as well life gets complicated.

It does seem to depend on the setup - I use a Strat or Tele through a Marshall VM combo, which is designed to respond to cutting the guitar volume by losing the distortion rather than the tone. Gives a good feeling of control, and a very pure sound. But the Tele seems to have hotter pickups, so now I'm using it as the main machine everything needs to be adjusted to get the same control. So the next project is to get a set of vintage-style PUs for the Telecaster to match the Tokai VIIs, which they ought to have anyway - what's the point of a Tele that sounds like a Gibson?

Other players who could be seen working the guitar controls (though not primarily Telecaster players) were Rory Gallagher and Peter Green ... plus one James Marshall Hendricks, of course. Old school - good stuff.

By the way, does anyone else find it necessary to put a capacitor on the volume pot of Strats and Teles to prevent treble cut at low levels?

Hi Jon.

Your posting brought back many memories of times long ago when I played a lot of electric guitar with the band,and do you know I don't think I used any effects apart from what was on the amp, which was probably just spring reverb.Yes, those were the days when everything was controlled by the volume knob on the guitar!having said that, I would be lost without my beloved effects!Things have certainly moved on for the guitarist in the 21st century.I'm so glad I got this thread going about Telecasters because it has lead on to so many interesting postings.Keep em coming!

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Gordon

You're an unreformed Townshend clone after all!

I didn't mention that in another band I also have to put an EWI through the amp, which means using a clean acoustic amp rather than the VM. We're also doing covers of Pretenders, Genesis and other FX-laden bands, so the pedal board takes over from 60s finesse for guitar, therefore. And then all those patches need to be modified for using a more powerful guitar as well.

Hooray for acoustic guitar where it's just the player's fingers and moving air ... plus a compressor ... plus a delay ... plus a submixer for piezo and mic mixing ... and for EQ ... plus a bit of chorus and reverb.

Oh for the days of replacing one Picato light-gauge at a time when they finally rusted through...
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 am

Gordon,

If I can go off thread for a moment...........very nice photo of you and the Vintage Travel on your home page (hope to pick mine up later this week!)

Roger :D

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 am

Roger wrote:Gordon,

If I can go off thread for a moment...........very nice photo of you and the Vintage Travel on your home page (hope to pick mine up later this week!)

Roger :D

Many thanks Roger.

Yes, it's a cracking little guitar and is great value for the money.I'm looking forward to Vintage bringing out the GG Travel guitar next year based on the existing GG model but of course a scaled down version, which I'm sure will look really cool.

Enjoy yours when it comes,and remember to get the store to set it up with a low action.With the right strings....possibly 10's you should be able to tune it up to C sharp or even G.I keep mine in a C tuning but a tone above concert.This little guitar equals the Tailor any day.It may not have the ebony board but it has its own voice.

Enjoy.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Gordon,

I'm sure that I will enjoy the Vintage :D Brilliant suggestion of yours in the first place to help with my shoulder problem, and I think it will be a keeper as I have always been more comfortable with smaller acoustics. It ticks all of the boxes in every respect, particularly at £169! I'll probably fit a pick up in the future too.

Great news about a GG Travel model - let's hope there might be a "leftie" :D

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

PS Thanks for the advice about strings/tunings too :D

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Gordon,

Picked up my Vintage Travel Guitar today - very, very pleased with it :D This is by far the most comfortable guitar that I've played in a long time!

When I got it home I was surprised how loud it was. Also, as you've said before the sound is very, very bright!

I think it's just a question of experimenting with strings now and at some stage I'll probably fit a pick up.

Thanks again for your help with this - think I owe you a pint of Old P next time I see you :)

Roger

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:21 am

Just found this brilliant site again and on this topic I bought a Peavey copy Tele off a friend recently for a few bob and I must say I now possibly play this guitar more than I do my others which are:

Takemine semi-acoustic
Fender Strat
Gretch 6120

and a couple of acoustics.

The Peavey is a brilliant guitar and well worth considering.

Please do not think though that I am a good player because I am not - I just love guitars.
David W. Oddy

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Just watched a really good documentary over here which included some wonderful Joe Walsh Telecaster playing.

Can't believe I missed him off the Telecaster player list. A great player who managed to get his life back from the brink.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Thought I may as well try and keep this thread alive; I have just embarked on a fairly 'high-end' Tele build. The neck is Allparts one piece flame maple bolted to a blue lacquered flame maple capped mahogany body. Hardware is chrome and pickups are 'tappable' Gretsch Filterons. I'll try and post a pic when finished.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 am

Russ Gannicott wrote:Thought I may as well try and keep this thread alive; I have just embarked on a fairly 'high-end' Tele build. The neck is Allparts one piece flame maple bolted to a blue lacquered flame maple capped mahogany body. Hardware is chrome and pickups are 'tappable' Gretsch Filterons. I'll try and post a pic when finished.

Can't wait to see the pics Russ and your choice of pickups is really interesting!

Love to the family,and good to see Carol at my concert with Wakeman the younger.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Russ!

As I would expect from you this sounds like a VERY exciting and interesting project! Can't wait to see some photos of the finished beast :D Out of interest whose hardware are you using for the guitar?

Talking of guitars, I haven't done much to the "cheapocaster" recently (frets/neck still need a bit of work), but I am enjoying playing my Vintage Travel Guitar! Also, after a very long break, Em is playing piano again, although I'm not sure about the choice of some of her material :)

News from Southsea is that PJ's is a much reduced operation now, which is a great shame :(

Anyway good to see you on the forum.

Wishing you, Carole and Ash a merry Xmas and great 2014,

Roger (&Em)

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”