Introduction as New Member

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

SteVen61

Introduction as New Member

Postby SteVen61 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am

Hi All,
I am new to the forum.

I own several acoustic guitars including a John Bailey which was made for me personally in 1982 by the man himself and recently a Lowden F35 which I finally managed to purchase after saving up for several years. It’s a special combination of striped Ebony back and sides and Sinker Redwood top. It has an amazing balance, resonance and sustain.

I also have Fender USA 60th Anniversary Stratocaster which sad to say has stayed in its case since purchased in 2004. My real interest is always remained with acoustic steel strung.

My interests in music are really across the spectrum however my main following apart from Gordon’s has always been Bert Jansch and Ralph McTell.

I always read Gordon’s monthly newsletters and this discussion group. I have signed up today because I wanted to be part of that forum and to share and relate to other guitarists and musicians with the same interests.

As a first reach out for help, can anyone recommend a luthier whom I could entrust my Bailey which has suffered a bridge lift and requires re-fret and set-up etc?. I live in Kent but will happily travel to find the right repairer.
Regards SteVen61

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Introduction as New Member

Postby GORDON » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Hello sir Welcome to our discussion group.You have some fine instruments.I think most reputable repair men could sort you out.If you are prepared to travel a long way I suggest Steve and Kate Philips up in the north east near Robin Hood's Bay.Look under guitarkes on Facebook for details.

Sincere Regards.Gordon.

SteVen61

Postby SteVen61 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm

Hi Gordon, Thankyou so much for your assistance and comments and my apologies for not responding back sooner.

Good news is that I tracked down Steve and Kate and by a pure stroke of luck, Kate is visiting London this week so everything is arranged to meet up and deliver the Bailey to Kate for the repairs and maintenance.

I'll let you know how the guitar sounds after the work and set-up.

Best wishes
SteVen61

BRC

Postby BRC » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:42 pm

SteVen61,

Glad you have found the luthier recommended by Gordon.

I am a little late in seeing your post and could have recommended one closer to Kent, our neck of the woods - details at the bottom of this post. If you look back on my post re the VE2000GG 12 string I bought first of all, the luthier did an excellent job in repairing that damaged instrument, which is still doing good service.

I don't have much time at the moment, but look forward to your update on stated instrument.

Kind regards
Brad

Luthier:
D W Guitars
Lucerne Street
Unit 28 Bridges Yard
Maidstone
Kent
ME14 1UE
Tel: 016922691087

BRC

Postby BRC » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:48 am

Following my previous reply, I have been able to establish details of another luthier in Kent, used by a friend and very satisfied with the work done.

The Luthier is Andy Crockett, Wheelwrights, Stone Stile Road, Shottenden, Canterbury CT4 8JT following link:
http://www.crockettguitars.com/.

Tel. No.: 01227 730700

I try to use local craftsmen as far as possible, subject to ability to perform the task/job I need, to help maintain, and hopefully thrive, local skills and craftsmenship.

Kind regards
Brad

Return to “General Chat”