Anyone with an interest in travel keen on exchanging experiences/ideas etc etc ??? A keen on discussing travel ????

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

Anyone with an interest in travel keen on exchanging experiences/ideas etc etc ??? A keen on discussing travel ????

Postby sultan4swing » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 am

I have 3 passions: my wife, music either listening or playing but more recently travel.... I help run a U3A Travel group where we discuss travel matters and do presentations.... I was a career Government rearch analyst and now spend a lot of my time, thinking about, researching or actually travelling. My motto is: ''cover the earth before it covers you''..... and ''it is best to roll into the grave totally worn out shouting what a ride, get to the grave in a perfectly preserved body''''.... What's better ? At the end of life saying ''I'm glad I did.....'''' or '''' I wish I'd done......''. If anyone just wants some general travel advice or suggestions - happy to help... fully realising that what one likes is personal and individual...... My wife and I have travelled round the world probably 3 times over the last 10 years since we met in Jordan... We;ve done about 20 river/sea cruises, European and worldwide overseas tours covering a lot of S/c.America, North America, Europe, Middle East, India and particularly SE Asia.... Just back from an amazing 4 weeks in south India...... a country from which you can never return the same person..... sensational...... As I say, anytime you want a chat...... !!!!!!

piotrwargan

Re: Anyone with an interest in travel keen on exchanging experiences/ideas etc etc ??? A keen on discussing travel ???

Postby piotrwargan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Hia,
I have seen the expression"cover the earth before the earth covers you" for the first time and what a true thing it is... :-)

It could be great to chat about travel ideas in the New Year 2018.

Happy New Year,

Piotr

PaulJ

Re: Anyone with an interest in travel keen on exchanging experiences/ideas etc etc ??? A keen on discussing travel ???

Postby PaulJ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 am

My wife and I never had kids. Therefore, although we know we will have missed out in some ways, we've had more time to spend together and travel (combined with a love of photography) has become a serious interest.

We haven't travelled as extensively as the OP but we've had great trips to Kenya, Sri Lanka, Goa, Cyprus, Maldives, Morocco, Costa Rica, Egypt and we even drove Route 66 in 2013. Later this year, we're off to a rural part of Greece - far away from the crowds.

I'm not sure if it's possible / permissible to post photos but (just a suggestion) it might be nice to share views of some of the places we visit - however near or far?

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Paul,

the best thing to do is to use something like Google photos to make an album and then share the link in a post here,

welcome to the group,

cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi..... encouraging to get some interest on this line of discussion....

Like Paul, during my first marriage I had no kids... Like any situation - some advantages and disadvantages - but allowed me to pursue my many musical and performing interests and to do some travelling albeit mainly Europe. It wasn't until 2005 when I met my present wife on a singles trip to Jordan at Christmas.... we eventually got together in 2008, and married and since then it has been whirlwind of memories. Some 55 travel albums, 60,000 photos, some 74 countries - 20 cruises, lots of Caribbean, Greek, and European islands.... Just back from exploring the Mayan culture and cities in Belize, Guatemala and Mexico - exploring jungles, temples, wildlife, lakes and volcanoes...

Sue re photos... As there are so many individual photos that could be exchanged, my preference is to provide a link to my online photo album of a recent trip (we use http://www.photobox.co.uk) and have done for 10 years...

Cut and paste the link - it will bring up the virtual album which you can open to view as per thr hard copy. Juts allow enough time for slide show to open .. It wont open on a tablet or iphone, you will need a standalone computer or laptop (if it's an Apple it may cause problems)..... here's the link to our south India trip album from late last year.... Let me know if/not its of interest....

http://www.photobox.co.uk/1xC8C8A7/crea ... puksecs001

As a suggestion. I have always used free download http://www.picasa for editing and presenting photos and producing photo CD's.... really good for what I want to do.....

Happy to offer any advice/suggestions anytime....

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi,

there are various options for sharing photos, Photobox is fine but Picasa not longer exists having been replaced with Google Photos which was my suggestion.

I'm looking forward to viewing your pictures when I get some time, thanks

Sue
GG webmaster

PaulJ

Postby PaulJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

I built a website a short while back. I don't update it as often as I'd like but I'm hoping to add some more locations we've visited in previous years, over the next few months. If anyone's interested in looking at my photos, my website address is:

http://www.pauljenkin.com

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am

Sue... thanks for the headsup on googlephotos replacing Picasa.....

As mine is already setup and we don't have any interest in expanding our tech kit (we have one basic mobile, we don't need or use phone or other apps), and it works very well for me, I'm sticking with Picasa..... For anyone else interested, does the new Googlephotos have a photo editing facility, otherwise anyone using it would also have to have access to a photo editing software suite... In which case, all the more emphasises the benefits of Picasa.... Unlike Paul W, I don't have a personal website for photo/holiday experiences, and for me don't see the need for one - 'horses for courses'.... Any friends and family who want to see my holiday piks, get them via the www.photobox link by email....

Return to “General Chat”