It's Hello From Me

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

El Tel

It's Hello From Me

Postby El Tel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:44 am

Hi everyone
Having joined this discussion group, I thought that I should I should introduce myself.
I'm a 67 year old git who took up playing guitar at the age of 14.Like many others at that time I was waiting for fame to tap me on the shoulder but there was one big drawback, I just wasn't good enough.
I continued to play and sing and there was improvement but not enough to give up the day job. I married and had children and my guitar and my playing was relegated to the back of the cupboard. The years passed by with guitar and voice getting only the occasional airing. When I reached bus pass age (60) I decided to resurrect my passion for playing and bought another guitar and maybe get new calluses back on my finger ends. I joined a local acoustic music club who encouraged me to get up and perform a couple of songs. Panic set in, my leg started shaking, my mouth dried up but I got through the ordeal and I was hooked. I loved it and couldn't wait for the next time. Since that evening, I regularly do floor spots at several folk/acoustic clubs plus a few open mikes.
My collection has grown to include 4 six string electro acoustics, 2 twelve string electro acoustics, 1 semi solid electric, 1 ukulele, amps, pedals including a looper and vocaliser so you can see that my GAS is quite active.
My music taste are very wide although I think that the Punk thing passed me by.
Tomorrow evening I am really looking forward to seeing Gordon at nearby Codsall Village Hall. I have seen Gordon once before but of course remember him from the vinyl days of “Fear Of The Dark”, “Visionary” and “Perilous Journey” which I owned and played to death.

Terry

Bob Wilson

Re: It's Hello From Me

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Welcome Terry
You'll find us a helpful bunch, sometimes, :) and all totally amazed by Sir Gordon. If you have a looper, have a word with Gordon and I'm sure The Dodo's Dream will inspire you to use it to it's full extent
Enjoy the concert
Bob Wilson
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Terry.

I'm sure you will really enjoy the Gordon concert tomorrow night!

All The Best,

Roger

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:27 am

Welcome indeed. I hope the concert was good (I have no doubt it was far beyond just 'good'). I have done a several public performances doing acting, singing and playing (classical as well as finger style acoustic) but I still get the jitters. It's odd as I feel that I shouldn't and I know the stuff so well there is no rational reason for it, but it happens. The feeling afterwards is an amazing buzz though. There is loads of good and interesting stuff within these walls, so if you are interested make sure you explore some of the older posts.

Keep those fingers moving!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:46 am

AndrewD wrote:Welcome indeed. I hope the concert was good (I have no doubt it was far beyond just 'good'). I have done a several public performances doing acting, singing and playing (classical as well as finger style acoustic) but I still get the jitters. It's odd as I feel that I shouldn't and I know the stuff so well there is no rational reason for it, but it happens. The feeling afterwards is an amazing buzz though. There is loads of good and interesting stuff within these walls, so if you are interested make sure you explore some of the older posts.

Keep those fingers moving!

Hi Andrew.

Listen buddy I get nervous before EVERY performance,and no matter how much time and effort you put in, once you hit that stage a new set of rules start to apply,like nerves and in my case memory.The main thing I draw comfort from is that if I HAD NOT spent all that time in preparation,the performance wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

There are SO many factors that can dictate a good performance or not.At a concert recently I was delighted with how well the first half went in spite of the venue being chilly and I just can't perform when I'm cold.Come the second half my hands AND the guitar felt cold and I had to fight both cold hands and a cold fingerboard making the performance that much harder.

It really is as the great Julian Bream said," all in the lap of the Gods".

Be well buddy and hi to S and see you in April.

El Tel

Postby El Tel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome everybody and btw Gordon's performance last night at Codsall was brilliant but then you wouldn't expect anything else.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:33 am

El Tel wrote:Thanks for the welcome everybody and btw Gordon's performance last night at Codsall was brilliant but then you wouldn't expect anything else.

Thanks buddy a lovely night all round.

Be well.

G.

Return to “General Chat”